Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting question for the group.

Last week in my travels I came across some stuff I wanted for other projects. It was a take all or none deal so I ended up with some containers filled with boxes of marking crayons for marking steel. The type used by welders or carpenters.

Some of the boxes are Dixon Lumber Crayons and are red or blue. On the crayons is the info "The Joseph Dixon Crucible Company" and the color number. These appear to be similar in feel to the crayons used by the kids for their artistic endeavors in coloring books.

Some of the other crayons are from the Markal Company and are called Markal Paintstick Marker. Other notes on the label include "All Purpose Cold Surface Marker". These are black and have a coating on them. After removing the coating the stuff underneath did seem similar to a wax crayon.

Is anyone familiar with these crayons and can they be used to color home brew bullet lubes?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i'm not familar with them. My lube recipe is 80% beeswax, 10% peanut oil, 10% ivory soap. All measures are by weight. With water dropped linotype I have had 168 gr. 8mm mauser loads up in excess of 2600fps. In case you didn't know, water dropping prevents frosting and adds another 3 or 4 points on the brinell scale.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have only cast for handgun over the last 25 plus years. Gave up on water quenching after the first time. :) It did not seem worth the extra effort for the couple of Brinnell Hardness Numbers. For rifle it would seem to be the way to go but with handgun I have stopped worrying about hardness and worry more about bullet fit. Most of my handgun bullets are cast with a mix that is slightly softer than Wheel Weights and I tend to keep the velocities in the 750 to 1200 fps range, mostly at 950 to 1050.

On occasion some loads have hit the 1500 to 1600 fps range with the soft alloy and the leading was minimal and removed by firing a few softer cast bullets. If I need a harder mix for harder bullets I will just add some linotype.

Most of the time my bullet lube is 50% Beeswax and 50% Vasoline. I have also tried a few mixes with 2/3 Beeswax and 1/3 Vasoline but end up going back to the 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i cast with range lead and water drop mainly because of the fact that I can cast with a very hot mold and not get frosting, casing hot also results in better fill out of the mold. I agree that water droping is not nessisary for handgun bullets.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
another method i tried and liked was dropping the bullets into a pan filled with cold lube. The hot bullets melt the lube and it adheres to the bullet. Just pick out the bullets with tweezers and throw them in a storage container. My lee mold drops 230 gr TC at .453, no need to size them. I can fully prep about 400-500 bullets in an hour.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
steric acid can be commonly obtained in Ivory brand soap. Just shave off slivers and mix in.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
redneckdan said:
steric acid can be commonly obtained in Ivory brand soap. Just shave off slivers and mix in.
It can be found in candle shops, along with the beeswax and the coloring powders.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
cool. Check with bee keepers about obtaining wax. I got it once for 20 cents a pound. Its un filtered but its like 90% wax, the rest is dead bees and stuff. The easiest way to filter it is too get a big pot, put about 4 inches of water in the bottom and throw the wax on top. Crank up the heat and when its nice and molten, turn off the heat and let it settle. Once its settled, skim off the wax.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I melted up some bullet lube and prepped the tubes so I could make some sticks. I took a chunk of the Dixon Lumber Crayons and dropped it into the melted wax mix. It did not melt, just sunk to the bottom.

That was a failure.

So, next I took a chunk and put it on top of molten lead. Eventually, it did catch fire and burned with a low flame. After awhile it went out and the chunk of stuff floated on top of the lead. Kinda looked like a piece of charcoal.

Another failure. Guess I will toss the marking crayons unless some welder in the area wants them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
i could probably use them, I do quite a bit of welding.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kind of a long drive. Since there are several gross the weight would be a killer if they were to be shipped.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts