Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Will the high price of dog food make you to look at alternate brands that are less $?

• Yes

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 41 70.7%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went yesterday to my local Pet Supplies Plus to buy dog food. I've been feeding the pack the same food for a lot of years now. I like how they look and they seem to enjoy the food. (Nutro Natural Choice, adult or lamb and rice).
A 40lb bag of food and a 12lb box of Milkbones cost over $50.00!!!!!
I noticed some bags of ProPlan and Eukanuba were priced just below $50.00 and they weren't even 40lb bags!!!
I like the fact that since we changed our dogs over to, I guess, what's considered a more premium food, they seem to be healthier and yard waste is a bit less. Unfortunately, if things were to get really tight I guess I'd be in the market for a less pricey food.
I know dog food has been a topic on here a few times, but with the prices now, is anyone considering changing up what they feed their hunting or house buddy?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Ya the prices are a getting out of control i feed my lab Innova and a 40lb bag is around 50 bucks. She likes the food and her coat is great and less waste than when i had her on Iams.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I noticed that dog food prices have gone up in general about $3-4 in the past month!

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
I wish I could survive on $300 worth of food per year.
Dog food is cheap.

You could- just pick up an extra bag and enjoy!!!! I don't know the human requirements in regards to how many cups would be necessary to sustain life and maintain a healthy coat.....so there would be some trial and error involved.:yikes:

Seriously somebody would be insane to enjoy paying more for anything, but the food is certainly not the biggest expense related to my dogs. I would have to say fuel prices concern me the most...can't do much here in the burbs, I have to head for the hills to accomplish anything with the dogs and that hurts the bank account much more!

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
You could- just pick up an extra bag and enjoy!!!! I don't know the human requirements in regards to how many cups would be necessary to sustain life and maintain a healthy coat.....so there would be some trial and error involved.:yikes:
Not to mention the decreased stool volume might really make it worth looking into! .... yeah, I can't believe I crossed that line .....

Seriously somebody would be insane to enjoy paying more for anything...
Amen! These types of threads drive me nuts with people's "could be worse" comments or "at least it's not as expensive as..." Where I come from, a buck is a buck and a buck saved is better than a buck spent, any day on anything. I don't care who you are or what your finances look like, there IS a point at which the benefit is no longer worth the investment. You might argue that if there ever comes a day that it's no longer feasible to feed "premium" food, it's no longer ethical to own dogs, but I know of hardworking dogs that eat supermarket brands and do fine on it. My grandfather's generation fed kitchen slop :hide:.

FYI --

I feed NutroMAX large breed (larger kibble forces the pointer to CHEW, plus it has Glucosamine + Chondroitin) = $25 @ PetSupplyPlus

And start mixing in Diamond Performance Formula this time of year (but not yet this year, as my dogs are still a little on the heavy side) = $40 at PetSupplyPlus

As the season begins I'll work up to a 50/50 mix, switching to 100% performance in the days before and after a hunt.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions and good luck finding a less expensive option.

KW

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not necessarily looking to change out foods yet, and before too long I'll have one less snout to feed.
It was a little difficult to see that 40lb bag of Purina Dog Chow for $12.00 vs. the $38.00 I was paying for the Nutro.
We fed our two Elkhound/Shepard mixes dog chow for years and they were fine.
As a side note, we took two farm dogs out west with us a few years back, a monster Lab, and a Brittney mix. They ate nothing but Old Roy, all the time, while my shorthair ate his Nutro.
Three weeks before we left I started mixing his food with some Hi-po Eukanuba. He did fine for a little guy. The farm dogs got a home brew type suppliment, home canned venison scraps and tallow. They ate the HECK out of it, and never lagged behind.
I'm just glad they slept out in the truck bed, in their kennels.:SHOCKED: I always wondered why the fiberglass started to peel on the inside of that cap:lol:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Heavy150
PSP usually puts Nutro on sale 3-4 times a year. The last time we bought the bags list price was 28.99, but it was on sale for 20.99.
This was the new bags, Max or the Large breed w/glucosamine same price.
We usually buy several to last till the next sale & buy enough to get our 10th bag free. Below is a photo our one of our old trips there.

Wally

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Wally, you ever leave that barn unlocked?:rolleyes:

Yeah, when they were still giving out cards that 11th free bag was nice. Now that we're back to clipping UPC's and submitting reciepts, I know I've already screwed something up!!!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
the price of all grains have increased a great deal, not just corn. and all food products have increased. milk is way up and i drink almost a gallon of skim a day. i think the idea of creating fuel from corn is a huge mistake.

i already feed a moderatly priced food and always have. i shop for the ingredients, not price, merchandising or brand names. i have six setters and feed about 52 bags a year +/-.

i bought hay this year, $4 a bale for grass hay. first cutting alfalfa can go for 5 or 6 dollars. about double what it was a couple years ago. fortunatly, i make my geldings scratch for grass rear round and only supplement with a little hay. 15-20 bales per year each.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
the price of all grains have increased a great deal, not just corn. and all food products have increased. milk is way up and i drink almost a gallon of skim a day. i think the idea of creating fuel from corn is a huge mistake.

i already feed a moderatly priced food and always have. i shop for the ingredients, not price, merchandising or brand names. i have six setters and feed about 52 bags a year +/-.

i bought hay this year, $4 a bale for grass hay. first cutting alfalfa can go for 5 or 6 dollars. about double what it was a couple years ago. fortunatly, i make my geldings scratch for grass rear round and only supplement with a little hay. 15-20 bales per year each.
You need to find a better place to buy hay! $5 - 6 per bale! :yikes:

·
Registered
247 Posts
OK, somebody has to say it.

Diamond

Yes, it will give them a little gas. Yes, it will make their stools larger. Yes, their coats may not be as shiny. But I don't see a difference in their performance.

Ingredients are "similar" to high-end dog foods, yet you don't have to pay for their advertising fees or support their high profit margins.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
OK, somebody has to say it.

Diamond

Yes, it will give them a little gas. Yes, it will make their stools larger. Yes, their coats may not be as shiny. But I don't see a difference in their performance.

Ingredients are "similar" to high-end dog foods, yet you don't have to pay for their advertising fees or support their high profit margins.
that's what i feed, i 've fed other brands but feed diamond by preference. the ingredients arent similiar they are the same. it's just marketing that tries to convince buyers of a big difference. like this soap or toothpaste is better than the other brands. it's amazing, people will worry about their dog food and then eat a big mac for lunch every day.

and the price of dog food isnt the whole story for you guys that go to iowa or south dakota to hunt birds. if crop prices stay up, you will see a lot of land coming out of CRP, fewer birds and fewer places to hunt.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts