Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever try hunting the holly rec. area for early goose , I see its got a few small lakes? Looking to hunt somewhere local to oakland county.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes cause everyone is gonna run out there now cause of my question.....thanks for the invaluable input....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't waist your time, we did last year and nothing flies into the lakes. Way to many other private ponds that they won't get shot at!!! Also a lot of peaple still fishing them lakes.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
yea we went out there on a couple of what we thought would have been good days and got nothing...they fly right over and go to the private ponds...you might have some luck at bald mountain if you can get away from all the pressure it sees...that is if there is any water there, i havent been there this year, last year it was bone dry

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's hit and miss but you might as well hang it up by 10 because all the people bring their boats out to race around. I would head to one of the big lakes, more birds. P.s. dress as fisherman and throw deeks about 30 yards away. They really pound them this way up in the thrumb this way, heck you could even catch some fish while your at it.

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Yes cause everyone is gonna run out there now cause of my question.....thanks for the invaluable input....
bleh, whatever, ask all you want i don't care. If i wanted specific information about a certain area, I don't know if i would ask that to the general public. Just a tip, you might want to ask if anyone has experience with xxx county for hunting geese...then take it to PM's.

Now you can take this advice or you can laugh at me, i don't really care, I'm not the one that told hundreds of surfers where i will be (or wanted to be)on opener.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Many of the flooded grain field refuge hunters here are way too up tight about this stuff in scramble areas like you are talking about.

They are forced by law to hunt within 50 yards or so of a stick in the mud with a sign on it that says "Hunt here":lol:. So their a lot more protective of the "spot/zone" as their ability to hunt is also dependant on a bingo that allows anyone to take that "spot" by chance/luck of the draw. And generally the conditions from one zone to the other are similiar within that field.

I live in this general area, and if you scout it and then hunt it right you can shoot some birds. Everyone has thier own ideas of success when it comes to waterfowl hunting. For instance I have only shot a few full limits in the Holly rec area, but have had some very memorable and enjoyable hunts:D

I would just be careful of mentioning "I saw flocks working the Northeast marsh on lake "X" every day at 8:00 a.m." on these forums for instance. That might/will screw you:( Hearing and seeing them is a whole lot different than getting underneath them in a lot of the spots I hunt without little sticks in the mud saying "hunt here", and this area is no different.

I liked the idea the one poster had here of pretending your fishing, he is thinking out side of the box....

However I have seen less birds this year than in the past 8 seasons or so I have lived in the general area here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Many of the flooded grain field refuge hunters here are way too up tight about this stuff in scramble areas like you are talking about.

They are forced by law to hunt within 50 yards or so of a stick in the mud with a sign on it that says "Hunt here":lol:. So their a lot more protective of the "spot/zone" as their ability to hunt is also dependant on a bingo that allows anyone to take that "spot" by chance/luck of the draw. And generally the conditions from one zone to the other are similiar within that field.
*** does that have to do with any of this thread? I like how you rip on the SGA hunter then go ahead and repeat what i just posted.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Pretending to be a fisherman while hunting early season geese works like a charm. Wear your shorts and t shirts do not even think about camo. You will shoot more birds than you realize. We do that around here now and again with great success. It also helps to keep those pesky imoral unethical fisherman out of your saftey zone. Funny they will troll through your goose rig while you are hunkered down in a blind, but when you are simply out fishing they stay away from you because they honor you as a fisherman.

Of couse in late season, wear purple sweatshirts and float a river, the ducks have no clue you are a hunter.........

·
Registered
147 Posts
onebad800,

Not to beat a dead horse here but the info shi gave to you is PRICELESS!!! its not so much that guys on here dont mind sharing info! i get TONS of great advice on here year in and out and i am always will to give back as much as i can!!! but heres the problem! now anyone who is "cyber scouting" has that lake on there list to check out!!! that means anyone in your general area! be more general & more people will give you ten times as much info in a pm form!! no one likes showing up on opening day to see 20 trailers in the parking lot when last year there was 5! just a friendly heads up! no "teeth" intended!!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Holly Rec area does produce some good hunts,timeing is everything. When I worked there back in the early 90's we regulerly shot limits of geese in the early season. Double check the regs though,the park may not be open until Sept 2nd after the Holiday! I would also call ahead and find out when the gates are opened..it used to be 8:00 am:sad:.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
*** does that have to do with any of this thread? I like how you rip on the SGA hunter then go ahead and repeat what i just posted.
it's still the bad time of the month for you?????:confused:

I posted my thoutghts and advice that were directed to another poster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is normally what people do on internet forums.:rolleyes:

Heaven forbid anyone here to reaffirm what another poster has already stated. I am assuming that the times you have done it before it was just a simple mistake?:lol:

Take a chill pill kiddo....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hunt holly every year. I have spots that I never see another person all day. In Sept you can count of boaters and kyaks running through your deeks. PM me for more details if you are interested.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts