Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, this’ll be my second season hunting and I’ll be on public land. I’m wondering how holly rec area is. The latest thread I’ve found is maybe 10 years old so I’m hoping there’s more recent experience out there. I’ve been out scouting maybe 4 times and have seen some sign, just looking for some feedback from others. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,489 Posts
I've hiked the area in the past. But I've never hunted it. I imagine it gets significant pressure being public land that's so close to a densely populated area like Oakland and Macomb counties ect. Put your time in and you might get rewarded. There's got to be plenty of deer but likely lots of potential for other hunters too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've hiked the area in the past. But I've never hunted it. I imagine it gets significant pressure being public land that's so close to a densely populated area like Oakland and Macomb counties ect. Put your time in and you might get rewarded. There's got to be plenty of deer but likely lots of potential for other hunters too.
That’s my thoughts also, I was lucky enough to be on private land last year but I have to find my own spot now. I’m just beginning this process. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
26 Posts
like any Michigan public land...its a total s it show during firearm season.
If your not a fairy tale hunter and expecting fairytale results you can still have a good time.
Scouting will not do much for you because the pressure will change any planned strategy you think you have.
If you want solitude you have to get into the firearm zone north of 46 to see the folks drop off the map.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
like any Michigan public land...its a total s it show during firearm season.
If your not a fairy tale hunter and expecting fairytale results you can still have a good time.
Scouting will not do much for you because the pressure will change any planned strategy you think you have.
If you want solitude you have to get into the firearm zone north of 46 to see the folks drop off the map.
Thanks for the info, I’d like to eventually develop an access to private land again down the line but public is all I can do now. I am planning to travel north also in the years ahead but time is a bit limited now.

·
Registered
467 Posts
My boss scouted that area for an elderly friend of his a few years ago and he thought the area had great potential if you could get away from the crowds. He did see a buck while he was out there, so take it for what it's worth.

He did mention something about new land being acquired and that someone keeps marking it private. Best go to the DNR station and get a confirmation of what land is part of the rec area. The old map might not be updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My boss scouted that area for an elderly friend of his a few years ago and he thought the area had great potential if you could get away from the crowds. He did see a buck while he was out there, so take it for what it's worth.

He did mention something about new land being acquired and that someone keeps marking it private. Best go to the DNR station and get a confirmation of what land is part of the rec area. The old map might not be updated.
The map I’ve been using is part of OnX, that should be current right?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have been hunting Holly Rec for about 20 years now. It can get crowded but it's not as bad as past years, there are just fewer hunters everywhere now . Years with a good acorn crop like last year can be decent there but otherwise the deer have way too much private land to hide out on during the day. You will see sign but most activity is at night.
.I hunt about 15 days per year, mostly bow, and usually see about 6-8 deer a year while actually on stand.I manage to kill one out there about every 2 years. Biggest buck seen to date on camera or live is an 8 point.
I continue hunting there because I am too old to go far by myself anymore. I like just spending time in the woods and don't take the hunting too serious anymore or I would go elsewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts