Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly carp it never ends…I’m walking in the garage and I almost do a back flip only to find oil on the floor. Then I find it leading right to my Johnson 10 horse. She’s a leaking gear lube.:(

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
pull the prop off bet ya have fishing line behind the prop and that has cut the seal. if thats not the cause pot the prop back on and spin it it should spin in a nice circle if it has a wouble the prop shaft is bent and that will cause the seal to leak only way for a gearcase to crack if for water to be in it and that must come threw a seal

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the small O-ring right above the impeller? If that was bad could it leak out over time? We just replaced it last year and I’m starting to think maybe it wasn’t installed right and was ripped. I did check the lower gear lube after running it a few times last year and their was no water in to at that time. Also could I possibly pressure test it????

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
don't think it's that o-ring,,,maybee the seal below the water pump,,is she laying on her side????
and yes you can pressure test her if you have the means

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
the o ring above the water pump will not cause ur leak. yes you can do a pressure test on the lower unit need to pressure it up to 20lbs and it should hold it for 10 minutes with out leaking down the other test you would want to preform is a vaccuum test the same way if it leaks on the pressure test put it in a bucket of water and watch for air bubbles. check the seal on the drain plug make sure it is there and that there is only one. they like to stick in the gear case and many people put a new one on the plug when the old one is still in place

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
ok check out the seal main shaft and the shift shaft,,, let us know what you find,,,also keep an eye out for pitting on the shaft

1 - 10 of 10 Posts