Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished today from noon till 5 10 keepers and ten throw backs fishing is hot rightnow nothing huge today but their in there 15-21in

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I've been fishing from shore at the tubes the last couple of days.. two days ago I caught 3 cats 12-14" no walleye and I had a couple of smallmouths on but the hook came out. They were dinks though. Also I saw an eye come in on my lure like he wanted to take it but refused. Yesterday I sat on the shore and NOTHING for 3 hours.. I went down to the river below the dam and put on a chart jig/white twister and right away I was catching 6" walleyes and smallmouths.. I actually pulled a 14" walleye out of there but of course had to put him back.. I probably could have done better if I was out there more than 30 minutes...

·
Registered
763 Posts
how were you catching the walleye? trolling? Any tips on baits, etc would be appreciated as I'm planning my first fishing trip to Holloway.
thx.
-KEN-

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hot n Tots, make sure they are running deep 75-125 back depending on your speed. Any color will do just stay on the flats off the main channels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Can you explain what you mean by the flats? kinda sounds like out of the main runway like closer into shore. I am just having a rough time learning Holoway so I can use any pointers I can get!

Thanks

·
Registered
603 Posts
Holloway doesn't have lots of deep drop offs, mostly flat bottom. so the flats would be outside of the main river channel in 10-14 ft of water.
The river channel runs 15-25 ft deep.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The flats could be closer to shore or in the middle of the reservoir, stop by Fishing tackle grab bag and buy a topographic map of the Reservoir for only $1.25 or so. Once you see that map you will know what we are saying by "flats". Good Luck

Chris

·
Banned
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hotntots aint the ticket pm me if you would like to know been out last three times and limits everytime

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hot n Tots not the ticket? How could that be:lol: No really I am glad to hear other techniques are working this early in the year. It's always nice to know that there is more than one way to catch the ole marble eye on Holloway. I however prefer to troll fast with cranks and cover water out there. I pull meat too but with all the snags it's just easier to pull cranks. I limit out everytime on tot's or shad raps and the fish tend to be bigger and I don't have to mess with the 4" bait stealers.

Tight Lines,

Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
What speed are you pulling cranks & any tips on location? ive picked up a few around goose pt & the camp ground but not much anywhere else.

Thanks
dx3

·
Registered
467 Posts
I start at 2.2mph and adjust up or down depending how the strikes are. You just have to cover ground out there. Goose Pt is good for me in July with harnesses, but this time of the year I like the areas left of the launch towards the dam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts