Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a boat from my dad that passed last year. He bought it about 5 years ago from a guy who needed the money. It has never been in the water since. It has a merc 260 with a holley 4010, It will start and run for about 2-3 seconds then stalls. Fuel pump works, ignition seems to be o.k. Any suggestions?

I have been considering an edelbrock 1409. Anyone have any experience with this carb?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
stuck float from sitting. take the bowl off and inspect. i'd bet its all gummed up. spray a lot of berryman carb cleaner to clean it and run a mixture of sea foam and fresh gas thru it. it will run fine.

·
Michimaniac
4,542 Posts
and :Welcome: to Michigan Sportsman. Good luck with your boat--way out of my league!!!!

Steve

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Ah... the old Holley rears it's ugly head! LOL!!

Take the bowls off... clean them up good. You're 2-3 seconds is the gas that was in the bowls... and the floats aren't letting any more in.

My own personal opinion? Stick with the Holley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found a the threads stripped in one of the holes of the manifold. could be sucking air you think?:sad:

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
kaw-liga said:
Found a the threads stripped in one of the holes of the manifold. could be sucking air you think?:sad:
That could be a problem as well. You should remove the carb which sounds like you did already and completely rebuild it. Then reinstall it. As for the stripped out threads, depending on the bolt size it is now. You may be able to drill out the bolt hole. Rethread to one size bigger thread. That is what I recommend doing. If that can not be done. You can drill out the hole insert a helicoil, that will put the threads back to the correct size. The problem with this repair is it is more common to fail later on. The third type of repair you could do is remove the intake manifold take it to a machine shop they can fill the bolt hole with weld and remachine the bolt hole. That would cost you money. For them to do something like that you are looking at about 150 bucks. Plus gaskets, and seals. Total repair cost for that type of repair wouuld be about 200 bucks. The choice is yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts