Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out of Holland Wednesday night. After a dead battery from leaving the stereo on in the boat and pulling the battery from my truck to jump the boat...Snaked around the pier heads for a few minutes checking for bait and/fish. Marked a little bait, lots of guys fishing the North pier but saw no stringers in the water. Pointed West and ran out to 120 foot of water. Set up about 6pm, and we were trolling East at the time in 109fow, 75 down on a rigger with moonshine fired. Landed a small King. Trolled between 100 and 150 fow for the next three hours without a bump. Right at sunset full core with a blue/green spoon took off. Landed that. 6.3lb King. Just put the fish in the cooler and dipsy set 96 back rips...Landed him. 12.7lb King on an Antifreeze variation magnum spoon. Still messing with him and rigger down 55 fires with green spin doctor/green fly. 8.3lb greaser for the smoker. Just put him in the box and rigger down 75 with white paddle/blue fly fires. Decent fish. Makes a really good drag screaming run and pulls the hook.(The big one got away. Imagine that!?) Before the line is retrieved the rigger next to it 90 down with moonshine magnum fires. 8.9lb King in the box. That flurry happened in 30 minutes right after sunset. Ended 5 for 6. Not terrible considering we had a 3 hour character building session. Those last 5 hits all came on an East troll between 120 and 100 foot of water. Marked a ton of fish early that weren't interested in what we had down, and put a couple nice pods of bait on the screen. Three of the five fish were packed with alewives. Great night on the water. But when isn't it?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That will give you an idea of the time of night. I had just taken that picture of the sun setting and very shortly after the action started.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Fantastic! I guess launching at 7:00 wouldn't be so bad right now. Seen a couple reports of dusk action. Nice to finally see some fish out of holland

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I plan on going out tonight if the bad weather holds off. By any chance were you running any glow baits after sunset?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I got out last night for a few hours and ended up picking up one small stealhead in124 ft of water on a 7 color core with a white and red spoon. The wind really picked up around 8pm and I decided to get off the water.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on going out tonight if the bad weather holds off. By any chance were you running any glow baits after sunset?
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday. For what it's worth now, we were running the Moonshine lures which glow and took at least one fish. Everything else was not glowing, but we didn't fish too far after dark. Knew I had a task in front of me getting my battery back in the truck. Haha

·
Registered
206 Posts
I will be out Friday afternoon. Thanks for the report! Did you mark quite a few fish before that flurry or just happened to run through them?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts