Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the forecast and it says high winds 22mph. I've never fished Lake Michigan out of Holland before and was wondering if a 22mph wind out of the East will keep my 17ft'r on the trailer. This obviously isn't the correct forum for Lake Macatawa but maybe that would be a bit more on the calm side? The ladies will be at the Tulip Fest. and I need a place to fish.....HELP!

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Come up to Port Sheldon, there is a league outing with many boats all from this site. Your 17 footer should be ok if it doesn't get much worse. At least you will have much company and people to cover your back!

Rick

· Registered
80 Posts
I just checked the webcam and it looks calm as can be right now. I have a 16 footer and typically any sort of East wind means I can go out without any issues. Not that it's always accurate, but here is the NOAA forcast for the weekend.

HOLLAND TO GRAND HAVEN-
338 PM EDT FRI MAY 4 2007

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. MOSTLY CLOUDY. WAVES 1 FOOT OR
LESS.

SATURDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE
OF SHOWERS. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. MOSTLY CLOUDY THEN
BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY. WAVES 1 FOOT OR LESS.

SUNDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS. SUNNY. WAVES 1 FOOT OR
LESS

· Registered
2,055 Posts
I was trolling out of Whitehall today & it was difficult to keep a course with those east 15-20 mph winds.

The seas were 1-2s, but they appeared to be coming from the south, so you had a whacky trolling track.

Another thing, if their is a break in the dunes/shoreline, you'll get blasted by the wind.

· Registered
2,055 Posts
Managed just a nice tan.

Worked the 6-9 FOW stretch for 2 hours from the south pier to Duck Lake without any bumps.

Tried a rigger spread in the 16-25 FOW range with no results.

Wound up stitching the plume for about 45 minutes before calling it a day at 2:30.

If you were fishing deeper than 25 FOW today you were on your way to Wisconsin in record time with all that wind.

Surface plume temp at the pierheads was 48 degrees.
Surface temp in the 6-9 FOW range was 46 degrees/47 degrees at Duck Lake.
Temp probe 16' down in 20 FOW read 43 degrees.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think people will struggle this weekend putting fish in the box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.