Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The admiral and I are bringing the 4 kids, spouses and 7 grandkids to Holland for a week vacation starting Saturday. I would like to put the grandkids on some fish, but have never fished the area. I have plenty of salmon tackle, Lake Erie walleye trolling tackle, and walleye spinning and jigging tackle. Love salmon fishing, but would be happy to settle for Lakers. Any advise would be appreciated. We'll be easy to spot. We'll be in the overloaded Jeep Gladiator pulling a Crestliner Sportfish 2050 with 3 kayaks on top !

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I believe the fishing has slowed some out of Holland. Keep an eye on this forum as guys are pretty good about posting reports out of Holland or Port Sheldon, which is just north of Holland. Typically this time of year if there hasn't been any East winds, we'll start in 150 or so and troll west. Just searching for that elusive cooler water. Then it's just a matter of finding the fish.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the help. I used to fish Luddington a lot back in its hay day. I'll have to keep that option open if its worth the drive. When salmon started drying up in Luddington, we moved our salmon trips to Olcott, NY since we live about halfway between, Olcott hasn't let us down much so never went back to Luddington. Might be worthwhile for nostalgia's sake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never targeted Sheephead, but that may be a great idea to keep the younger one's happy. We catch quite a few when walleye fishing on Erie with crawlers and spinners near the bottom. The do put up quite the fight ! I suppose I could fish for them the same way.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
There are still silver fish around. But it’s definitely slow. A bite an hour is doing pretty good. Might be pretty boring for this kids.

Dragging harness’s across macatawa will catch you something for sure. Great fishing lake. Walleyes, musky, sheeps and tons of nice smallies. Should be plenty to keep the kids busy.

Reactions: 2010flhtk

·
Registered
896 Posts
Fishing has slowed in Holland area. Typical June time, however still some fish around. North of Whitehall has been ok but still slower than it had been. Lake Mac is full of sheepshead if you want to keep the kids busy. I just signed my daughter up for the Holland Steelheaders kids tournament this weekend. I believe tonight is the last chance to sign up. Details on there website.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never targeted Sheephead, but that may be a great idea to keep the younger one's happy. We catch quite a few when walleye fishing on Erie with crawlers and spinners near the bottom. The do put up quite the fight ! I suppose I could fish for them the same way.
I was out Tuesday anda triple here: 42°46'49.3"N 86°09'31.9"W · Lake Macatawa, Michigan
All Master Angler fish. 25.5",and two 26.5".Slow troll crawler harnesses 1.8 or so, but set the drag light because they will straighten the hook. Otherwise use hot-n-tots, they work well also. I tend to do well with things that have a blue tint, but play around and you'll fund what hits best. I think we out 7 or 8 in the boat, the smallest was around 20".

I take buddies out once in awhile just to catch them. They pull like a freight train.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts