Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a hunting or fishing question but it's kind of relevant and this is the best place to ask.
Does the owner of pigs/hogs (not pot-bellied) need to keep the animals in a pen of some sort so they do not get loose? Without too many details, I encountered a disturbing situation yesterday that kind of ticked me off. Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, it doesn't come out and really say that they must be enclosed in a fence though, it seems like they should be. Especially with all of the feral hog problems MI is starting to have.
Yesterday, while walking down a country road, 3 hogs, 1 15lb, and 2 smaller baby sized hogs were rooting up the ground about 8 feet from the road with no fencing anywhere on the property. They also had a goat, turkeys and chickens. The hogs saw me, squealed a few times and took off towards the house. There was absolutely nothing stopping them from running to the nearest corn field and being escapees. The bigger one looked exactly like what I see on tv in Texas, and pics here on MS, just smaller.
I don't want to report these people unless I know the laws first.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
As far as I know, hogs are allowed to be raised free range, they do not have to be penned. But, you would need some means of keeping them on your own property and not going feral. They also must have access to food and water just like any other animal.
Sounds like what you saw would be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.