Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ted I'm not sure, but I received information that these hogs are doing a large amount of crop damge and are breeding like hogs....I have never seem a hog in the wild in Michigan.

·
Registered
404 Posts
That was introduced because as of now, its a verbal agreement between DNR, USDA, and county prosecutors that hunters will not be prosecuted for shooting hogs running wild.
Hogs are protected as farm animals as it originally was.... but due to the number of feral swine in michigan things needed to be changed (in writing) that it would be legal to shoot feral hogs...

Hope this helps
Clyde

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Clyde. I wasn't aware that it wasn't an official "law" so to speak.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
That was introduced because as of now, its a verbal agreement between DNR, USDA, and county prosecutors that hunters will not be prosecuted for shooting hogs running wild.
Hogs are protected as farm animals as it originally was.... but due to the number of feral swine in michigan things needed to be changed (in writing) that it would be legal to shoot feral hogs...

Hope this helps
Clyde
check this link, http://www.michigan.gov/images/emergingdiseases/FSopencountiesMDAmap081507_205747_7.jpg

I thyink there are only about 12 lower mich counties who have not SIGNED the argeement to allow feral pigs to be shot on sight,, other than in the farmers pig pen of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, we have a nice link sponsored but Kristie, our pig posse coordinator from the DNR,,,,,

here is the link, http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194817
feel free to ask her questions or just read the 14 or so pages of intel/info first :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Prosecutor permission was a great way for us to get on the feral swine problem while getting the livestock-at-large law changed. Now, as it is my understanding, anyone with a valid Michigan hunting permit, can shoot a feral pig anywhere in the state. This is very good news. I would like to thank all county prosecutors for their cooperation during the time it took for us to go through the political process.

And thanks for the links and info. Clyde and hans solo.....

Kristie

:woohoo1::woohoo1::woohoo1::woohoo1:

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prosecutor permission was a great way for us to get on the feral swine problem while getting the livestock-at-large law changed. Now, as it is my understanding, anyone with a valid Michigan hunting permit, can shoot a feral pig anywhere in the state. This is very good news. I would like to thank all county prosecutors for their cooperation during the time it took for us to go through the political process.

And thanks for the links and info. Clyde and hans solo.....

Kristie

:woohoo1::woohoo1::woohoo1::woohoo1:
I gotta hand it to ya Kristie- you sure gotta thing for pigs!!:D:D Thanks for all your work.;)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
feral pigs are bad for soooooo many reasons.......besides the disease risk, habitat damage, ag. damage.....human, pet, domestic animal safety risk, wildlife species competition risk.....sheesh....they just out compete everything......they are an exotic invasive here.....

I'm also very passionate about my job mich.....so no problem....

K

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
feral pigs are bad for soooooo many reasons.......besides the disease risk, habitat damage, ag. damage.....human, pet, domestic animal safety risk, wildlife species competition risk.....sheesh....they just out compete everything......they are an exotic invasive here.....

I'm also very passionate about my job mich.....so no problem....

K
you forgot they are also flat out ugly!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts