Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shot Triple 7 granular with improved results over black powder? Per volume it's supposed to be faster than black powder.

I have an older .54 cal Knight MK-85 (15 years old) and I've found that ffg black powder always shoots better than any of the substitutes on the market.

Pyrodex RS and Select does not shoot well in a 54.

Any comments?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Mike,
I have not put it threw the chrony to give you any sound advice. It does seem to have a bigger bite w/ the same load compared to pyrodex. I'm loading 110grns for my encore. I started @ 125grns. Best groups are @110 for this encore. Let me know if you want to sample any. I just opened my second container and am set for the 5th. 3" high @100 gets me 3" low @ 175yrds.

·
Registered
35,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ric

Thanks for the offer but I already bought some to give it a try. My most accurate load is 95grs. of ffg blackpowder with a 300gr. 45 cal. Hornady XTP in a red MML sabot. My Knight has one of the carbine length barrels so I don't get a real long burn that's why I'm looking for a little more fps but only if I don't sacrafic any accuracy.

How long will you be at camp?

As of this minute I'll be at camp on Thursday evening ready for Friday's opener. The weather is begining to change for the better, colder. The final total was 2" of rain Sunday.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I found the same thing with the pellets in my Encore but I figured Id shoot the box then try the granular for next season. One shot is usually all that is needed anyway with a ML. Your really good if you can reload and get a second shot off at the same deer. I just swab it out in the field and then reload. Pain but oh well Im getting 2" groups at 100 yrds. with 2 pellets topped off with a 250gr. Shock Wave. Shot a doe on sunday and left an awesome exit hole. She piled up 50 yrds later. Ill try the 777 granular this summer at the range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts