Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still think someone who pops in here has found a couple of my spots. I wasn't particularly stealthy about where I live on this forum. A once exclusive spot for me has been getting stripped of hens in the past few seasons now and immature ones too. Heck I never even took em all out. And last year I found no remains in 1 of the 2 spots, like they are wiped out or something.

Yesterday I mentioned a chicken find, not yet mature and now it's gone. I wasn't even gonna pick it, I just don't care for em that much. Besides I know where some big bastages often grow but it's a drive and then a walk.

Oh well, it could be a coincidence.....but it seems like a big coincidence!

Anyway good luck y'all, and remember out there, I just need 1 or 2 hens for the year... LOL!

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
Unless you are taking pictures with Geo-tagging features turned on, It's unlikely that an average joe user would be able to track down your spots without you giving away verbal clues for them to extrapolate a position to seek out.

I'd bet on coincidence.

Maybe it's just unlucky if you live in an area where there a lots of recreational pickers foraging State land.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I still think someone who pops in here has found a couple of my spots. I wasn't particularly stealthy about where I live on this forum. A once exclusive spot for me has been getting stripped of hens in the past few seasons now and immature ones too. Heck I never even took em all out. And last year I found no remains in 1 of the 2 spots, like they are wiped out or something.

Yesterday I mentioned a chicken find, not yet mature and now it's gone. I wasn't even gonna pick it, I just don't care for em that much. Besides I know where some big bastages often grow but it's a drive and then a walk.

Anyway good luck y'all, and remember out there, I just need 1 or 2 hens for the year... LOL!
I know the feeling, like the fishing sites,I never mention a damn thing where I was successful, there are too many lurkers on these sites. Looking for the easy way.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you are taking pictures with Geo-tagging features turned on, It's unlikely that an average joe user would be able to track down your spots without you giving away verbal clues for them to extrapolate a position to seek out.

I'd bet on coincidence.

Maybe it's just unlucky if you live in an area where there a lots of recreational pickers foraging State land.
That's just it I did give verbal clues on this here chatroom. Quite seriously, I have found spots from bar napkin like advice from people giving the wrong road names and just generalizing. My buddy sits at home all winter looking at the internet figuring this stuff out. I just gave him a good lead yesterday to work on this winter. Usually involves a scout mission or two before the season is on. If you are intelligent enough, and some idiot like me says enough, you can deduce plenty.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the feeling, like the fishing sites,I never mention a damn thing where I was successful, there are too many lurkers on these sites. Looking for the easy way.
Well it's public land and I wasn't careful and I know it, if it is the case. I am not pissed or anything, just saying it happens, maybe more of a warning to others about being too specific. Hate to see reports dry up and will continue to do so myself. But I wish I hadn't been quite so free with my location.

Example it it's known where my general location is almost to the street and I say I'll be right back I have to go check my hen spot.....BUSTED! I'd know what to do if I knew that about someone else . Lets just say I have managed to make things work out for me in the past.

I'd never get into details about a good morel spot though, and they are not around me anyhow.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

Big like this ?

Mushroom Ingredient Cuisine Dish Fungus

·
Premium Member
31,945 Posts

I'd bet on coincidence.

Probably tracking him through the GPS chip they injected him when he got the jab.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A nice chicken can be spotted 100m away. Not like it's hidden very well.
Yup,probably the easiest mushroom to see given it's color and position on the tree. Have to be an idiot not to notice one. I love road hunting roons.

Anyway I stated my case, it's only a theory until I know otherwise.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Man, I never tried those mushrooms. I'm going to have to try to get some.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am guessing it has more to do with the growing popularity of mushroom hunting in general, especially summer mushrooms, as compared to someone scoping out your exact spots.
Yeah except in less than 24 hours of me posting about an immature chicken and showing a pic of that vagina looking tree, it's gone. And on a weekday. This could easily have expanded in a couple more days, actually it had been up a while and was getting bigger. Anyone with brains would have left it unless they thought it would get plucked. I mean if they know the spot, why not be there already and pick it? And likely knowing I been leaving them for years as I don't care so much for them and I say so, why worry? But they get an alert via my post.....well I think I know what is going on here. 😕

Sounds a bit paranoid but that's OK. You would be to if the whole world as against you. 🍄

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yeah except in less than 24 hours of me posting about an immature chicken and showing a pic of that vagina looking tree, it's gone. And on a weekday. This could easily have expanded in a couple more days, actually it had been up a while and was getting bigger. Anyone with brains would have left it unless they thought it would get plucked. I mean if they know the spot, why not be there already and pick it? And likely knowing I been leaving them for years as I don't care so much for them and I say so, why worry? But they get an alert via my post.....well I think I know what is going on here. 😕

Sounds a bit paranoid but that's OK. You would be to if the whole world as against you. 🍄
If you posted pictures of that exact mushroom, did you take the geo tracking off of your pictures? Most phones mark your location and post it with the picture if you don't turn the feature off on your phone.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
I used to never see other people out foraging. With all the Facebook pages now, it has become much more popular. Someone once posted his morel finds on a Facebook page. He named the park and the picture of morels were on the trail head sign with the trail name. Was one of my favorite morel spots. Never seen anyone in the area. Next day I drove by and the parking lot was full. ☹

·
Premium Member
3,574 Posts
I used to never see other people out foraging. With all the Facebook pages now, it has become much more popular. Someone once posted his morel finds on a Facebook page. He named the park and the picture of morels were on the trail head sign with the trail name. Was one of my favorite morel spots. Never seen anyone in the area. Next day I drove by and the parking lot was full. ☹
When I read this thread a few days ago I thought the same thing. I think social media plays a big part for sure. I also think the "foodie" scene is playing a big role. In conjunction together, watch out..... The whole "farm to table" and "foraging" movement has really changed the way people think about eating. It is very hip and trendy to eat new things, including wild mushrooms. One of the restaurants I frequent, whose owners I am friends with, try to serve food all year that is based on what is available at the time, both on local farms and from the woods. They have a group of guys (foragers) they work with. In the spring it's morels, then on to chanterelles, oysters and hen of the woods. This increases popularity among the diners, some who then try to do it themselves. While I think it's great that people are expanding their culinary horizons, it definitely impacts those of us that have mushroom hunted several decades with much less pressure.

·
Woods and Water Rat
21,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If you posted pictures of that exact mushroom, did you take the geo tracking off of your pictures? Most phones mark your location and post it with the picture if you don't turn the feature off on your phone.
I don't use a phone, and the camera doesn't have the function. If I did you could tell me if I had GPS tracker on......but would you? LOL!

No I have known about this for a long time. First thing I ever check on a new device.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I don't use a phone, and the camera doesn't have the function. If I did you could tell me if I had GPS tracker on......but would you? LOL!

No I have known about this for a long time. First thing I ever check on a new device.
Haha Yes I would tell you but I also never look to see on other pics. I have so much ground I already cover I hardly have the time to get to it all so I'm not worried about new spots. Now if I was retired and had everyday to look...that'd be different.

·
Registered
19,561 Posts
Haha Yes I would tell you but I also never look to see on other pics. I have so much ground I already cover I hardly have the time to get to it all so I'm not worried about new spots. Now if I was retired and had everyday to look...that'd be different.
Really. You been slacking off lately.
The G.P.S. tracker I didn't stick on your vehicle hasn't been off road for days!
:LOL:

Reactions: Ieatshrooms
1 - 19 of 19 Posts