Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing that this will be my first bear hunt, I was wondering..how often will a bear hit your bait pile? Where I am going to be hunting at, I plan on having it checked about every 3 days.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Depends,how many other baits are in an area,how much natural food is available,(ie.berries),how much bait you are putting out,weather,etc..
I've had them hit every night and I've patterned them every 2-3 days.
Also depends how many different bears are hitting your bait.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Turkeygirl,

Bear will visit a bait site most every day and it is quite possible to have more than one bear visiting your bait site. If you are set-up in an area where others are baiting the bear may miss once in awhile as they will be hitting other nearby baits as well. As mentioned on this site in the past, bears often learn what time of day the baiter freshens up the bait site.
Your chances would be better if you are able to bait every day a week or more before you plan to start hunting. Hope you get a bigun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My parents are the ones who will be keeping my bait going about every three days. I plan on going up the weekend of the 22nd for 4 days to take more stuff for them to put out. I just hope to get something coming in. I found one area that had some good signs, but that doesn't mean anything until they hit the pile and are in my sights...LOL. As far as how much and other baits, about a 5 gal bucket of bait, and I know of 1 maybe 2 other people in the area that will be hunting. One will be about 1.5 miles from me. Is there any secret scent that is a for sure to bring them in? :help:

·
Banned
189 Posts
honey burn, do it while your getting your b/s setup:)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Liquid hickory smoke diluted with some apple juice or cider in a spray bottle,spray everytime you freshen up your bait!!!!;)

Spray on trees,ground,etc...

Works for me!!!:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my opinion, it doesnt matter about someone being about 1.5 klm or miles from your site. What matters most is that you have good bait. Start with fresh meat scraps ( I get mine from a local butcher ), then after you are getting regular hits, try switching to pastries. I get the throw aways from tim hortons..lol Also as was previously stated Honey Burn!!! They work.

I also put a lot of KFC chicken cooking oil around. This helps get trails going in all directions as animals walk through it. ( may help bring in more bears )
Hope you are successful!!

Stay safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts