Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing a lot of pics of sleds pulling sleds and shantys but no pics of what you're using for a hitch to pull the sleds. Any one got any pics or ideas of what to use for a hitch. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go to franks you can buy for around a 50 dollar bill. Just have to assemble it. Bought mine there for my otter last yr. can't hardley make one for the price of buying one

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to franks you can buy for around a 50 dollar bill. Just have to assemble it. Bought mine there for my otter last yr. can't hardley make one for the price of buying one
my clam flip over has a tow bar, I need something to hook it to the sled

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
It all depends on what kind of sled you have. Some have plastic, aluminum or steel bumpers. If it is plastic I would get the kind the bolts to the tunnel as well as the bumper. If it is metal you can get away with the universal ones that just bolt to the bumper. I have also seen people make there own by just u bolting a piece of angle iron to the bumper with a hole drilled in it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all depends on what kind of sled you have. Some have plastic, aluminum or steel bumpers. If it is plastic I would get the kind the bolts to the tunnel as well as the bumper. If it is metal you can get away with the universal ones that just bolt to the bumper. I have also seen people make there own by just u bolting a piece of angle iron to the bumper with a hole drilled in it.
mine has a plastic cover over a steel tube bolted to the tunnel. It's strong I've supported the sled with a jack stand under the bumper during the summer.

·
Registered
11,841 Posts
What Ive been using for the last 7 years... Just 3/4 conduit connected to an eye bolt thru bolted to the auger rack.

On the shanty side i put a backer plate and another eye bolt.. and connect the tow bar to it with a 1/4"shackle..Make sure to use nylock nuts and keep the eyebolts as short as possible so they dont bend.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
eBay...15$ for a universal hitch. If you don't want to drill through the bumper I went to tractor supply and made my own for about 5$. Ubolt and a turnbuckle.

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
UNCLE AL said:
I'm seeing a lot of pics of sleds pulling sleds and shantys but no pics of what you're using for a hitch to pull the sleds. Any one got any pics or ideas of what to use for a hitch. Thanks
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/foru...wing-hitch.html#/forumsite/20508/topics/95823

check out the hitch on this site. great idea. the guy made it out of a conveyer belt but I would think a used snowmobile belt would do as well. there are lots of products out there you could make this out of for $2-3 in hardware.

Posted from Michigan-sportsman.com App for Android

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Yup'er, this is same one I use on my sleds!

I prefer a hitch that bolts to the tunnel also, much more sturdy. I have seen a lot a grab bars bent up using those hitches. They are ok for occasional use will get tore up if you fish a lot.

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
hawgeye said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burksee

Yup'er, this is same one I use on my sleds!

IMAGE#1

I prefer a hitch that bolts to the tunnel also, much more sturdy. I have seen a lot a grab bars bent up using those hitches. They are ok for occasional use will get tore up if you fish a lot.
depends on your sled. the grab bars on my skidoo are very sturdy. some brands/models are weak or attach thru plastic brackets. if you are pulling something that would be harmful to the grab bar on my sled you are pulling way to much to begin with. snowmobile engines are not made for pulling. I heard of
many guys blowing up engines trying to tow a broken sled out to a trailhead.

I would prefer a hitch that would fail if I pull too much weight vs a sturdy hitch that would allow me to overwork the engine if the thing I am pulling were to get hung up or stuck.

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
depends on your sled. the grab bars on my skidoo are very sturdy. some brands/models are weak or attach thru plastic brackets. if you are pulling something that would be harmful to the grab bar on my sled you are pulling way to much to begin with. snowmobile engines are not made for pulling. I heard of
many guys blowing up engines trying to tow a broken sled out to a trailhead.

I would prefer a hitch that would fail if I pull too much weight vs a sturdy hitch that would allow me to overwork the engine if the thing I am pulling were to get hung up or stuck.

I guess if you want to putt around 5 mph and not cross cracks you'll be good to go. I like travel with some momentum, crossing cracks is hard on equipment. I also go 5-6 days a week, so again, my stuff takes a beating. I've seen many grab bars bent over the years and none of them had smoked motors because of it. Where thos guys smart enogh to pull the belt off the machine they were pulling? Also seen many dead machines pulled in without blowing up the lead machine. Mine came with a hitch standard, go figure!

·
Registered
11,196 Posts
I guess if you want to putt around 5 mph and not cross cracks you'll be good to go. I like travel with some momentum, crossing cracks is hard on equipment. I also go 5-6 days a week, so again, my stuff takes a beating. I've seen many grab bars bent over the years and none of them had smoked motors because of it. Where thos guys smart enogh to pull the belt off the machine they were pulling? Also seen many dead machines pulled in without blowing up the lead machine. Mine came with a hitch standard, go figure!
Well I am not looking to get in an argument just trying to give sound advice to anyone on here that may be thinking of towing. There are a couple models out there that are built for a workload and if yours came with a hitch you are probably set up ok. But I can tell you that I have seen machines blow rings for pulling kids on sleds for too long. Most modern machines are built for high RPM high top end speed and not low end torque. The design of the engine/clutch simply isn't made for towing. Snow cross racers tweak their sleds to create a lot of low end torque to get out of the hole quickly and they modify their engines with high compression heads/pistons and change clutches ......and even they rebuild their machines weekly.

Personally if I had any decent money invested in nice a sled I would be careful about setting it up to pull much weight. Towing is rough on an engine set up for high rpm high top end speed. most machines don't even begin to move without towing until 3500 rpms or more. If you are modifying an old beater for fishing only and you have little money invested I suppose you can knock yourself out.

I too have seen machines pulled in without blowing up sleds.....But I have also seen machines ruined trying to do it and yes the belts were off. I am not even sure you could do it with the belt on. it is a gamble in my opinion. I will offer a ride to anyone but I will not tow another machine with my sled.

As I said I am not looking to pick a fight or anything I am just trying to give someone that may be thinking about towing something to consider. I have gotten a lot of great advice on this site over the yrs.

Nice chatting with you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts