Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admittedly I’ve never done much tinkering with arrows. Treated myself to a new bow last week and the shop recommended Easton Axxis. Didn’t really pay much attention to the inserts until i got home and these are something new to me. How does everyone feel about their BH sitting up against the carbon? I’ve done a little research and it seems most have no worries, makes me cringe a little. I’m planning on doing quite a bit of shooting the next few weeks and I’d like to start off in the right direction. I’ve always shot 100 grain BH’s. Considering adding a weighted insert or switching to a 125 grain(maybe both?)because i think I’m a little light up front. FOC is totally new to me, but I’m coming up with about 9.6% with a 100 grain BH. Any pros and cons to adding an insert and sticking with a 100 grain, as opposed to just getting a heavier broad head? Thanks for any replies. I do plenty of reading on the archery forum, not much posting. I know they’re are some knowledgeable people floating around here.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have hit inserts in my fmj. I don't like them for a couple reasons.
1. Setting them to the correct depth for you broadleaf stinks. I had an arrow that would thread a field point and my mechanicals but neither fixed blade.
2. The broadhead driving up the shaft as is documented online.

Issue one was solved with a wasted arrow and trial and error. Use quick set glue as I also had one move one me with the Easton epoxy. It slid down the shift a 1/4".

Issue 2 was solve with an arrow footer. It slips over the end of the arrow. It adds weight up front and protects the tip.

The final product is great. I shot 3 deer last year with my bow and all of them died in sight while walking. The build was frustrating solely bc of the hit system.

As far as insert weight vs broadhead weight, it never made a difference as long as the weight matched out of my bow.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Wait till they get pushed back in the Arrow Shaft! The Worst Inset ever design. As It needs a Shoulder so they can't get pushed back sad part 3 FMJ's and just Practicing with them and all 3 Had this Insert Pushed back in the Shaft and a Pro Shop used the required Easton HIT Adhesive for the $ I won't use an Arrow that uses the HIT! So I went back to my XX75 & XX78 Never had an insert move as they have a shoulder that is at the front of and outside the Shaft. Lesson Learned spent 100.00 on the FMJ's and only spent 49.99 on my XX75 Won't waste another penny on any Arrow that uses this Insert and small diameter is are another hype as my XX75 and XX78 are 2514 and I get Pass Thru's so diameter does not MATTER!
The HIT was a poor design by easton just like their smaller thread size for FP's and BH's that what was the Standard Size..
Still Take Deer with my 2514's and have for 25 years.......
Newaygo1.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I’ve shot FMJ’s since about a year after they came out. Love the arrows and never had any issues with pushed back inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm not a fan of those inserts, but you can make them work. Use a broadhead adapter ring, looks like a washer. If you are happy with your current 100 grain head then add a weighted insert. If you are in the market for a new head then buy a heavier head. It really doesn't matter which one you choose as long as you get the desired weight up front that you are looking for.

I've also had the inserts move while waiting for the epoxy to dry. It's a real pain in the butt. You could forgo the HIT system and just use an aluminum footer with a standard insert if you choose to go that way. Several options out there really.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I’m going to look into the broadhead adapter. I shot quite a bit over The Weekend with 100 grain Field tips and i was pretty happy with the results. I’m gonna stop and grab some 125s and see how they fly. If my math is right my arrows are about 415 grains. Seems a little light compared to what I’m reading a lot of guys are shooting, but I’m more concerned with accuracy...still going to do some tinkering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts