Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in opinions on screening ideas for a clearcut with poplar that are approx 3 inches in diameter. Idea #1 Cut the saplings to allow new browse this spring and new growth for more dense trail screening, which will take a couple years, Idea #2 hinge cut parallel to trail or Idea #3 hinge cut perpendicular to the trail (tipping trees away from the trail). Also have found it difficult to hinge poplar beyond 45 degrees without snapping them so looking for suggestions on that as well. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you trying to make an access trail or screen? I ran my first cut of about 5 feet wide parallel to my walking path. Cut at varying heights to build up some brush and was able to sneak a path behind without being visible. First year leaf out was great. Second year you wont have any leaf out as the root system has moved to other poplar. After the third year the brush pile is almost all decayed. During the three year period lots of cover is provided by grasses that are stuck in the brush and new trees will began to grow. Forth year now so in the process of taking another 5 feet wide path and hinging high away from the original brush piles. This will put more light to the ground where I can plant some Spruce trees for a long lasting screen.

Taking out the poplar is a great way to get new trees growing. I have 5 acres of almost all poplar stand that I am turning into bedding area. Easy to work with. Doing this in stages as I don't want a huge burst in poplar again as several maples are starting to come up. The wet areas are starting to see some Alder. You really have to put a serious hurt on the poplar to see a full regrowth. The root system is massive and will feed the other trees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New to the site, appreciate the reply. Entry trails are already in place just looking to screen it off better. After the initial cutting a lot of raspberry bushes and some grasses grew up (canopy was gone) but over the past 4 years the poplar have really taken over and growth is back up top with some raspberry and grass below. If I hinge poplar (which I find hard to do without snapping them) will I get shoot new shoots at the hinge cut and will I get continued growth from the hinge cut through to the top?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Poplar dont hinge well and survive. Most likely, if you hinge them and they hang up on the stump, your growth will still be from the massive root system sending up new shoots from the ground. There will be a few exections, but they will be rare. However, getting them cut and hanging up on the stump/hinge, has its benefits, depending on your purpose, even if you dont get the regrowth off the stump.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is your new poplar growth that your wanting to hinge small enough that you could pull them over and tie them to another tree? I'm just trying to think a little different and give you another possible option. I have done this a lot with small trees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting them horizontal helps a little but with no vertical growth off from hing cut to top doesn't give me best screen so getting new growth from new root shoots might be the ticket. If I had the time to wait I would clear and drop in Norway Spruce but trying to get it thick as soon as possible. Not sure if there are any grasses I could broadcast inside the cutting to get a good screen, any thoughts there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gallagher714: I tied some of the saplings together a couple years ago but as they grew up they ended up dying and in some cases just breaking in two.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The poplar are going to die if you hinge them. I have never been able to get them to live on a hingcut.
I cut a swath 20 to 30 yards wide. I hinged the edge (about the width of a fencerow). I then piled the ones I cut down on the hinged ones, then I took all the little maples and wound them through the dead poplars. This made a very good screen. The poplars are growing great in the fencerow (5 to 8 feet in a summer). Where the deer can browse them they are growing a lot slower (two or three feet tall). The stumps did sucker and grow some, as well as sprouts popping up all over the place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts