Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Oaks should be your last choice for hinge cutting unless that is all you have to work with. Never tried hinging one but I would assume they would break off.
Your best trees for hinge cutting are:
Elm, Blue beech, hickory, ironwood, and sometimes soft maple will hinge OK. This is good because they are not desirable trees anyhow.
HInge cutting should always be done when the sap is flowing (not in the winter) if you want the tree to stay alive for years.
Don't try hinge cutting poplars. Your best bet is to completely cut them down in the winter and wait for the sucker trees to start growing off of the root system the following spring.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
I've hingecut plenty of oak (red and swamp white) and had better survivability with them than I've had with ash.

IMO, the best hingecut species, going away, is basswood.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i echo what farmlegend/hunterrep say. My forest is oak-pine and i hinge cut primarily black oak. What worked best for me was not to hinge cut too large dia of a tree. 7" to roughly 1.5' worked best.
Also hunterrep was right on, "while sap is rolling" those leaves will stay green all summer thru early fall.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Cherry and oak are by far the best from what I have done in the past three years. I would prefer these two over anything else that grows large on my land.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts