Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hunt in Hillman or live near there? Curious to see what deer population looks like up there this year. Will be hunting in our usual spot and just seeing if the herd is looking big or not.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I hunt NW of the beautiful Hillman International Airport and the A-Frame party store. Based on limited trips up there this year it seems the herd is still substantially knocked back from its highs in the late 90's. Comparable to what I've been seeing for the last three years or so. Then again, a smaller herd is not neccessarily a bad thing. Several types of browse plants at my place are regenerating!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The heard has been small last few years. Although there have been more bucks with better racks seen in our area in recent years. Thanks for info .

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The deer weights have increased yearly and the size of the racks has as well. The herd is going to be small for years to come. Less hunters than I can ever remember. I have been going there since the early 60's.

If you get a chance to see what Dr. Deer (Dr. James Kroll) has going on at the turtle lake club you will be amazed at the monsters they are growing there. They had a Turtle Lake hunt on the TV not too long ago.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I understand QDMA honored a deer mgr from the Hillman area. Was this for work at Turtle Lake?

·
Registered
206 Posts
is this the turtle lake that is outside of gaylord inbetween johanasburg if so i hunt over that way my family owns property close by the turtle lake club.

·
Registered
206 Posts
my buddy got a big 9 pt last year just a few miles north of hillman on his 100 acre deer camp and there was a couple of oother bucks a nice six and one spike for the newbie they practice qdma up there they dont shoot anything less then a 6point and for the newbie they get to shoot anything for there first deer but froom then on they have to shoot bigger deer and it has really turned thngs around up there they have really nice deer up there on cam plus a nice big black bear.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
my buddy got a big 9 pt last year just a few miles north of hillman on his 100 acre deer camp and there was a couple of oother bucks a nice six and one spike for the newbie they practice qdma up there they dont shoot anything less then a 6point and for the newbie they get to shoot anything for there first deer but froom then on they have to shoot bigger deer and it has really turned thngs around up there they have really nice deer up there on cam plus a nice big black bear.
If they are actually practicing QDM they are also harvest antlerless deer. Or are they?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last year a guy from our camp took a 5 point on opening day and it was in a group of 4 bucks that were on the move the 5 point stopped for the shot and he took it. I had a big 4 point come by but I let it pass because it was a 4 point. He was big bodied though for a 4 point. Another guy took a 9 point on the property one night. Lots of bigger does but the bucks were sticking to the thicker woods. Lots of doe in the corn fields.

·
Registered
529 Posts
A few years ago a big one came out of Hillman area, I seen it in the woods and waters magazine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The herd is down and will continue that way as long as they give out the amount of antlerless permits they do.. As long as there is TB,, they will continue to give them out..
Yes, there are bigger bucks being taken,, but I don't think there are more of them, just the buck/doe ratio has gotten closer...

Hunter numbers have been going down for many years now...

·
Administrator
17,645 Posts
I hunt near Hillman in Alpena.
I would say private land areas hold high numbers of deer. Public land is a bit on the low side.
<----<<<

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are near Riverside hunt Club and a couple other private land owners and we have been trying to take more bigger does than smaller bucks. The surrounding properties have an agreement to take 6 or better on bucks which it seems many have not been listening too. The one guy in our group took a 5 point last year. I've heard others taking spikes still. Everyone needs to be on board for this to work

·
Registered
17 Posts
hunt little brush lake area with less and less deer every year. went up last week small game hunting and didnt see much deer activity like i use too, but i did find a elk horn. still love this area and will probaly always hunt here.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I used to hunt hillman state land back in 95 ,96 never saw very much.Hopefully that area will rebound in a few more years.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hillman is way off from it's prime. Very few deer for sure. I spent an entire weekend in the woods scouting and only found a few rub trees and 1 scrape. Pathetic!:sad:

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. A lot of the big farms are probally still loaded with deer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts