Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hilarious conversation between my wife and son

820 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  plugger
My wife was a analytical chemist for most of her career but the last ten years she was an electrical-instrument tech. My son is a union electrician, about 15 years licensed, My wife is looking at issues at my mothers house, blowing light bulbs and circuit boards on appliances. My wife is thinking voltage surges are the problem. So she is looking into voltage suppressors. My wife called my son and asked him if he knew anything about suppressors. He thinks she is wanting to order a firearm suppressor. He starts to explain about the 200 dollar license or tax and background paper work, he explains they are federally regulated. He also warns her that she can not just build her own, she is quite mechanical. My wife not understanding his misunderstanding says its just for household use. My son replies, "How damn many deer do you need?, thinking she was gong to shoot deer from the house. His misunderstanding on the deer shooting is somewhat understandable because my wife has warned us before that if we don't get her another deer she is going to have to shoot her house deer. She had her phone on speaker when she was talking to ur son and I was doing the best I could to not fall down laughing. When she understood what the misunderstanding was about she said if she wanted a silencer she would just make one out of an oil filter. My wife does shoot, hunt and has a cpl.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Now that is funny right there. Mention to her that it may be a bad neutral connection someplace in the house also. I had similar problems in my house until I found a wire nut that had aluminum and copper wire mixed and was particularly melted. Lights at half brightness blowing out within days, also electrified the ductwork... I thought the house was possessed until I found it.
Your son needs to take a journeyman upgrade class in transient voltage surge suppressors.
I saw the humor in the story.
My son works service for Newkirk out of the man office. He works with testing and engineering a lot, he travels around the Midwest a few times a year working on stray voltage issues on large dairy farms. Him and my wife have had some instrumentation and test equipment on the system and haven't found the cause. Because the system is single phase my son lacks some test equipment that he would use on three phase. My moms house is at the end of the line for REA, the next house down the road is consumers. Since my wife put the surge suppressor on we haven't had any problems. When they have had test equipment on the system they haven't seen any over spec peaks. REA doesn't want to put a recording meter on the system, my son said that's because if they find a problem they have to fix it. I think my son's job is pretty cool. He drives a big diesel service truck with about everything you could want and if that isn't enough he has a big enclosed trailer. He is home nights 90% of the time and works all the overtime he wants, then some. He occasionally runs jobs that are pretty high tech. He does a bit with energy management systems and does a lot of high voltage terminations and testing when things blow up.
Your son needs to take a journeyman upgrade class in transient voltage surge suppressors.
I saw the humor in the story.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.