Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many attend the annual Midland gun show. However, this year the door fee is 9.00 ea. I have heard dealers have dropped from doing it fearing a reduced customer base [I wouldnt do it for that reason]
I wondered how many of you as customers would not attend because of this STEEP fee?
I also have heard [not yet confirmed] Doug Carl will be putting a Grand Rapids show together that same weekend so as the vendors have an opportunity to work another show. I am leaning toward the GR show myself. In the past he had not put a show up agaunst the Midland show [for a time they were both held at Birch Run and essentially the same vendors] but I think there just may be enough vendors who think that charge is too steep.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
You will never see me at a gun show if I have to drop that kind of coin.

I have been to far too many over the years that were a disappointment, even with a lesser admission charge.

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
I just looked at the Grand Rapids Deltaplex web site and the gun show there March 4 & 5 is $6 with seniors over 65 at $5. 12 and under FREE

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its basically the same sized show, but charging a lot more money. Doesnt make good sense when the economy is so bad.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Got tired of the high entrance fees, beef jerky, Nazi memorabilia, tools, clothing, high prices for beat up guns and the same stale merchandise. Have always done much better at gun shops. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think $6 at BR is a rip, $9, no way. Too much of the same stuff, overpriced guns and junk. I can do better at local shops and online.

On a positive note, I have found some good deals on the books. Thats the only reason I'd go now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If the prices keeping going up I will probably also stop going. When you go to those gun shows it is like hit or miss. I have gone and found some nice stuff for a good price, but then sometimes I see nothing but the same stuff. I was really looking for handgun dies, and the ones I found were used and way over priced. I started to get into reloading and I am always on the lookout for dies, brass, and maybe even used presses. At the gun shows they are asking way to much, and I can get them cheaper online and they are new. Not trying to be negative, I just remember as a kid having a great time looking at the different guns and gear at the shows, and my dad telling me about them.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I will still attend the Midland show, mostly because it's in my town, but also because I get to see some of the local gun guys that I don't see as much as I would like to.

Keep in mind that one reason the Midland show used to be so "good" was that it was before Birch Run was having one every three days and they (I've been told) used to restrict who could get a table. They wanted a high quality show, not like the ones in BR that have a lot of non-gun related items (junk crafts, WWII memorabilia, clothes, BlueBlocker knock off sunglasses, pieces of assorted glassware from the MASH unit for making meth labs or moonshine stills, coins, etc).

I know the coast was high last year too, but I would assume the even higher cost this year is due to them having it at a new location.

For those that decide to come, See you there!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Gil Martin said:
Got tired of the high entrance fees, beef jerky, Nazi memorabilia, tools, clothing, high prices for beat up guns and the same stale merchandise. Have always done much better at gun shops. All the best...
Gil
My two sons and I went to the silverdome a few weeks ago. 9 bucks to get in. I downloaded a coupon for a buck off but it was still way over priced.

Like Gil said, All the guns were priced at twice the normal prices, Nazi freaks at one booth, beef jerky and cheap Chineese knives and tools. I WONT ever go to that show again.

Gibraltor is much better as far as vendors and cheaper admin price. Usually we go to buy Mil Surplus ammo and they have some decent deals if you look around.

Williams in Flint has a much better selection of guns and the prices are realistic.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
We could hold a gun show of our own and kick out the jerky peddlers, the artsy craftsy stuff with cute pictures of deer and ducks, the first aid guys, and the war memorabilia people. Then we divide the hall rental up among whoever is left and see if any of them want to reserve a table. If to many of them decide to not get a table we could just raise the admittance price. Eventually, we will make our money back.

It is a vicious cycle. The promoter has to sell enough table space to pay the rent, the insurance, the security, and the promotions. The paying public has to help out and pay something to get in and hopefully when it is all said and done the promoter made enough to pay his bills and show a profit.

The $9 admissions are going to become more common. Ain't much that is going down in price.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rustyaxecamp said:
I will still attend the Midland show, mostly because it's in my town, but also because I get to see some of the local gun guys that I don't see as much as I would like to.

Keep in mind that one reason the Midland show used to be so "good" was that it was before Birch Run was having one every three days and they (I've been told) used to restrict who could get a table. They wanted a high quality show, not like the ones in BR that have a lot of non-gun related items (junk crafts, WWII memorabilia, clothes, BlueBlocker knock off sunglasses, pieces of assorted glassware from the MASH unit for making meth labs or moonshine stills, coins, etc).

I know the coast was high last year too, but I would assume the even higher cost this year is due to them having it at a new location.

For those that decide to come, See you there!
Midland better HOPE they can get enough guys to attend that show. Its basically the SAME guys that do Birch Run..........If theres another show the same weekend [G-R] That place will suck even worse [Midland] I am already leaning at doing the G-R show if its open...........from what we have seen here 9.00 at the door is not going to happen...plus the dealers are paying 55 a table for Midland VS 45 at GR..............I need to find the flyer Midland sent claiming that people would attend at 50.00 at the door.........Someone needs to wake up.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I can go to Jays or Gander MT for free to handle and see all the guns I want and then to other dealers to compare prices and still have $2 leftover for the dollare menu at MCDonalds after I pay for gas. I already pay to have the internet and there are good deals there as well.

I guess I am saying, for $9, they can keep their shows and watch them fade away, there are to many free places to look at guns to be asking an extra $3-$5 admission.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frantz said:
I can go to Jays or Gander MT for free to handle and see all the guns I want and then to other dealers to compare prices and still have $2 leftover for the dollare menu at MCDonalds after I pay for gas. I already pay to have the internet and there are good deals there as well.

I guess I am saying, for $9, they can keep their shows and watch them fade away, there are to many free places to look at guns to be asking an extra $3-$5 admission.
The more that Bit** the better, then the price may be regulated for admission..........However when I can find ballistic tip or Hornady V-Max at 4-5 bucks a box......then Id stop going to shows lol. Not likely to find those below wholesale prices at gun shops!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I stop going to Gun Show they charge too much, that's what I think. Now I just surf the WEB it's alot easyer and cheaper on GAS! :D :D :D I don't think they should charge at all at the door. Then may be I might think of going again.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Makes you wonder if the people runing the arena are anti gun peta nuts,they have to know the price at the door of the other shows.maybe they are just trying to force it out by raising price so no one will come.It would be a shame to see a local show go under,seems like the bigger one's are half full of nazi/ninja crap.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
It's at a new indoor basketball thing they built up here. I think it it owned by local guys. Not PETA whackos as far as I know, but they can be sneaky buggers.;)

The civic arena they used to have it at is ready for demolition and the new arena will still have ice down (I think).

I'm not defending the $9, just giving a local view.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Sorry to say but the burden should be in the show providers (such and J&J Gun Shows) to come up with the funding for these shows, with minimal investment my the patrons. Increase the table cost for the guys selling their products. they will either pass on the cost or not depending on what and how much they expect to sell. Why should the guy looking to spend, possibley hundreds of dollars, have to fork out more money to come in and buy things.

To me it is like having to pay $5 to get into Mcdonalds on the concept that their food is cheaper than Big Boy which is jsut up the road. Hmmmm, a combo meal for $4.99 plus a $5 adminssion, or a combo meal for $7.99 no admission?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Frantz said:
Sorry to say but the burden should be in the show providers (such and J&J Gun Shows) to come up with the funding for these shows, with minimal investment my the patrons. Increase the table cost for the guys selling their products. they will either pass on the cost or not depending on what and how much they expect to sell. Why should the guy looking to spend, possibley hundreds of dollars, have to fork out more money to come in and buy things.

To me it is like having to pay $5 to get into Mcdonalds on the concept that their food is cheaper than Big Boy which is jsut up the road. Hmmmm, a combo meal for $4.99 plus a $5 adminssion, or a combo meal for $7.99 no admission?
that way.
First off, we have the costs of tables, gas and lodging for 2 day shows. If I try to sell something, I have to make a profit [usually minimal] I cant just jack up the price as you suggest. Much as guys will bail at a 9 dollar gate fee, they will also NOT buy an item if I have to raise it.
I think a fair and reasonable gate is fine, and thats why the promoters are there in the first place [to make money for themselves]. However, I do not consider 9 for admission anywhere near fair.
With gas being what it is [and higher] many dealers are being forced to cut back because they cannot afford the expense to do business.
Those that do attend shows can be some of the biggest cheapskates also, you cannot believe the morons we deal with on a regular basis....[I love insulting them to get the deer in the head lights look]. I put out a fair price and dont expect to have to listen to idiots tell me Ill take their offer....Not today.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Cool, you are one of the vendors for these events and I can understand what you are saying, and thinking about it, it all makes sense. well at least most of it.

It can understand the moron comment to some extent but when I go to the shows, I try to deal on everything, and I mean everything I look to purchase, and the attitude of the person behind the counter makes a huge differance on where I buy, same cost or not. To a lot of people (obviously not the vendors), part of the ambiance is to have a good time, dicker a little on pricing and make a deal. I am not talking stupid negotiations or offers, but seeing the ruger 10/22 for $190 and saying "I'll give you $175 for it and hearing a counter of $185 and we won't worry about the governors cut" kinda thing. Heck I try for a deal at Jays and Gander Mt as well.

People go to the shows to be cheap and get the deals, but you are right to some extent on that, but the cheapskates go everywhere ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts