Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know a tackle shop that would stock the more expensive tackle? Would like to pick up and get a feel for Diawa Certate spinning reels and certain G-Loomis spinning rods. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
37,804 Posts
Bass Pro in Auburn Hills. It is unfortunate, but there aren't that many places that stock the good stuff. Dicks and Gander Mountain stock reels that for the most part I wouldn't buy my kids anymore. Dunhams and Giant Sports are a joke. Lakeside has some decent stuff, but a limited selection. That leaves BPS unless you want to drive down to Dundee

·
Registered
888 Posts
Have you tried Jay's in Clare?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went through Jay's last week and they didn't have the reels or rods I wanted to look at! They got me close and the info provided helped, but didn't have what I was looking for. Searched all around Flint and all the main places could only order!! I'll call Frank's and Bass Pro tomorrow. Thanks! I may be in the Auburn Hills this week too!:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
High end you are not kidding! Those reels should come with a set of handcuffs so you can lock them to your wrist.

I don't have access to the rods but if you want a price on the reels I can get one for you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
For the rods this is probably your best bet to find someone stocking the type of stuff you are looking for.

Aer Custom Sporting Equipment (Aer Custom Sporting)
13630 Main St, Bath, MI 48808-9465, United States Phone: (517) 641-7277

·
Banned
4,684 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Wow, those are some "High End" reels.:yikes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"Spinning" SalmonBum. Glad I'm not "fly guy"! But you guys have deep pockets or atleast a lot of them on the cloths you wear.;) Well, nothing at Bass Pro and Franks has the most expensive Diawa spinning reel, the Steez, but no Certates. Nobody's home at Aer. Might just have to contact Diawa and ask a bunch of questions and compare to something I can look at!? Hate to gamble without seeing my cards, but sometimes they say to play your opponent rather than your cards!

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I know that, but if he wants to spend some reel money, he might want to take up flyfishing.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know that, but if he wants to spend some reel money, he might want to take up flyfishing.
Why do you thank fly fishing is a rich man's sport? That just makes you sound ignorant.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Why do you thank fly fishing is a rich man's sport? That just makes you sound ignorant.
He said he wanted to spend money on HI-End tackle. Flyfishing is just about as expensive as it gets. To be honest, I have more money wrapped up in Ovris crap than all my big water fishing stuff. And anyone that has been on my boat knows, I'm not short on any trolling rods :D

And yes, Flyfishing is a rich mans sport. I haven't met too many guys from the Hidden Lakes Mobile home park that just got back catching Sailfish in Costa Rica on thier Tibor and Sage Combo :lol:

BTW, it was just a joke. Relax man.

·
Registered
173 Posts
He said he wanted to spend money on HI-End tackle. Flyfishing is just about as expensive as it gets. To be honest, I have more money wrapped up in Ovris crap than all my big water fishing stuff. And anyone that has been on my boat knows, I'm not short on any trolling rods :D

And yes, Flyfishing is a rich mans sport. I haven't met too many guys from the Hidden Lakes Mobile home park that just got back catching Sailfish in Costa Rica on thier Tibor and Sage Combo :lol:

BTW, it was just a joke. Relax man.
That is a ridiculous generalization. Myself and my buddies all catch fish with fly gear and none of us are rich. Considering the price of your boat, fuel, riggers, electronics, gear, etc. I’m sorry that you have more rapped up in your Orvis, if there is any stereotype when it comes to fly fishermen it is the Orvis owners. After all 60% of the msrp is for the name and membership to that society.;) Sorry to get of the subject, I hate it when people do that. Good Luck

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
That is a ridiculous generalization. Myself and my buddies all catch fish with fly gear and none of us are rich. Considering the price of your boat, fuel, riggers, electronics, gear, etc. I’m sorry that you have more rapped up in your Orvis, if there is any stereotype when it comes to fly fishermen it is the Orvis owners. After all 60% of the msrp is for the name and membership to that society.;) Sorry to get of the subject, I hate it when people do that. Good Luck

Man, you really had a bad nite??? Chill, man. NO, you don't have to be rich to have a Fenwick and a Martin Multiplier to go flyfishing, but yes, you do need to have some deep pockets to be able to fly out to remote areas of theworld and catch some of the most prized fish. That is just the way it is. And if your gonna do that, my guess is your not gonna take a Cortland Rim Fly. And yes, I'm an Orvis Snob...... That I am. It must be some other guy out there singing on with my screen name giving all the advise and help in the big water section. You know us Orvis guys, we keep our snobby mouths shut.:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I gotta admit, as I look at what the boat and insurance and electronics and the tackle and the service and the storage and the gas and the slip fees.....

A guy has to be spending a whole lot of money on his fly reel to get near us.

I hope the wife does not read this post...

I just don't get where this crap comes from. If a guy wants to stand in the water and catch fish, he isn't getting in my way, what do I care?

If a guy wants to buy a $350 spinning reel, more power to him. I spent more than twice that on a fish finder (wholesale on special no less) this year. Don't put me on that lie detector show and ask me if I really needed it either.

Personally, I have no beef with any sportsman taking any game legally and ethically. We need every one we can get.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow!!! I think the PC Police should be banned from this forum!!! They seem to be flying around here like a fly hatch on the Manistee river. Nobody is stereotyping! The title of the post is "high end tackle". The "deep pockets" coment was an intro to "a lot of pockets" on the vests that fly fisherman have. Just a roll cast at humor! Maybe I should have put two ;);)! High end tackle is the discussion of expensive equipment, not if you are a "rich man". Heck, I've never bought a reel that cost more than $70, and that 1980's Diawa Tournament SS is still working great! I've tried the new stuff and I know it is time to spend a little money on myself, because I love to fish. Now that you guys know how frugal I am, I feel better about admitting that I do flyfish! I'm not embarrassed, but poud to say I use my dad's unbranded bamboo fly rod coupled with a Pemco auto reel spooled with Courtland 6wt, tippeted with 2lb and a rubber spider to have great fun catching bluegills. Thanks to you who helped me on this subject of "High End Tackle" and related your experiences without fear of the PC Police!!:fish:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I really did not want this to get out of hand, and still don’t, but I feel I need to explain myself. I simply misunderstood SalmonBums commits and took a little offense by them. Maybe I did have a bad night? Threads on here tend to get so out of hand and so far off the subject it’s terrible. Not so much this forum as others (river forums) but it’s not far to the guy’s looking for info, what this site is intended for. SalmonBum explained himself and I agree with what he said. Also, I was not bashing Orvis, merely using it as an example. The reason I did not reply was because this has become stupid and I was hoping it would fade away so we all can get back to discussing the topic we are all here for, Slammin Salmon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts