Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering about techniques for trout on higgins. i have been going up there for quite a few years & have only caught 1 trout(rainbow) on a tipup.would really like to catch a laker. i have used live and dead smelt and grey shiners fished on the bottom in 40-70 fow. rigged as follows braided line,egg sinker, swivel, about a foot of mono & treble hook.just wondering if i am doing something wrong or if there is a better way to rig for them. like just a split shot and hook suspended off the bottom.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Sounds like you have the right idea. Things I would have you change, 1) move to deeper water, 100 foot. 2) Loose the braided line and go with straight 8lb mono. 3) longer leader , I run them about three to four feet. You didn't specify what size treble you're using but you need to use the smallest hook that will still hold the bait. Put this setup right on bottom and you should be all set. Jigging Swedish Pimples can be killer at times too, use a good stout rod and big sweeps ( up over your head).

Good luck,

Mitch

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've used the same technique Mitch was describing. A few winters back, I landed 2 nice eater size lakers and a whitefish, fishing in 100 FOW on the north end. I was using a #7 Glo Swedish pimple, tipped with a blue shiner. I ran 1 tip-up but the fish would hit and run-several flags and no fish landed. The tip-up on that particular day was a pain in the ***. It took longer to reach the bottom than it was to get a flag. I then switched to jigging and within a few minutes, caught 2 lakers, missed 1 and a dandy whitefish.I was jigging it like I would for walleye, but use larger sweeps-much larger at least, 3-4 feet. It makes that pimple dart around like an injured smelt or cisco. that should get you a laker or two.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yeah, tipups can be a pain if you don't have the right kind, must be large spooled and free wheeling. Mine are about 1.5 feet per crank. Leave the polars at home, they're worthless for fishing water this deep for lakers.

Mitch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts