Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 81 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Called Higgins lake sports shop last night. The owner said she thought it was still frozen. She said she will drive by this morning and check. I'll be calling her soon. I'll post my findings.
There were fishing the south basin out of the marina since Saturday. Their have been people out there everyday since.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sports barn says the lake has ice. South state park has fisherman but he's not sure how far out there fishing. Slow west side has the same.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
20 min in to the 2021 smelt season on Higgins and I caught a master angler!!
10 1/4”. Ended up with half a bucket full between 2 of us. Be safe out there!!!
View attachment 749729
1/2 a bucket full That’s like 400+ Smelt.. Nice job And congrats on the master angler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can anyone tell me if anyone is going out of the north state park? Thinking about coming up and that's the only place I'm familiar with. Any input would be greatly appreciated and open to other ideas. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can anyone tell me if anyone is going out of the north state park? Thinking about coming up and that's the only place I'm familiar with. Any input would be greatly appreciated and open to other ideas. Thanks in advance!
Out of the north state park launch, 7fow 4~5 inches. Did not go further and the people I saw were all out about the same distance. Today

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Only tried it one time for smelt,over 20 years ago... Can't remember how far we went out,but I remember the walk back in.. I'm to old for that walk now..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Only tried it one time for smelt,over 20 years ago... Can't remember how far we went out,but I remember the walk back in.. I'm to old for that walk now..
Hmm, let’s see, walking back to the west launch after midnight with the west wind blowing and the temperature (not wind chill) around zero. I remember that, lol. So does my one hand, I think it got a little to cold while breaking down and sometimes bothers me when it’s cold out.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hmm, let’s see, walking back to the west launch after midnight with the west wind blowing and the temperature (not wind chill) around zero. I remember that, lol. So does my one hand, I think it got a little to cold while breaking down and sometimes bothers me when it’s cold out.
It's never the walk out and set up that gets me,it's the break down and walk back..

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
[/Q

Done that walk many times in the middle of the night, stopping and looking up at the millions of stars and feeling really tiny in the big picture.

·
Registered
20,889 Posts
Looking to ice fish Higgins this weekend, maybe Friday night. Just looking for ice conditions.
About 8” of ice a couple days ago, quads and sleds are out but not many in the middle.

We have a winter storm going on right now. View out the window....high winds, horizontal snow, schools closed, not pretty out there. might want to let this storm pass first. It dont look like a lot of snow though. But their calling for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
791 Posts
I’d guess everyone is out fishing why there not posting. I’d bet with the cold weather we got there driving sleds and quads all over. But I haven’t been there to check yet. Kinda hard with a 3mo old

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I’d guess everyone is out fishing why there not posting. I’d bet with the cold weather we got there driving sleds and quads all over. But I haven’t been there to check yet. Kinda hard with a 3mo old
Last I heard yesterday they were still not going in the deep/middle yet. But with this cold weather it shouldnt be long

61 - 81 of 144 Posts