Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
South west side today. From the looks of diddys east side pic and my west side pic, the south basin could be fishable this weekend, spudding out of course.
C558A7B6-977D-49F8-AD61-7A6FA874CCCB.png

·
Registered
791 Posts
If she’s making ice won’t be long. She puts on ice fast once it starts. Just gotta get all that deep water to cool down. It’s still on track early late feb. just like any other year at least to get to deep water with a machine. I think 1 or 2 times in my 30 yrs I can remember running quads or trucks to sunken island before feb

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
19 degrees today in Prudenville. She's making Ice !

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Just need the wind to die down.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Pretty windy here in Gladwin county today. Temps have been in low 20s all day. Colder for sure in Roscommon county. She's making ice all day today

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
Saw on the Higgins Lake FB page a couple of guys are fishing the south side. I’d still give it a bit, but I’m a puss!

Reactions: buck11pt24

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just looked at a few areas on the north west side of the lake 20 minutes ago, still more open water then ice. I haven’t been down to the south side though. North side has a ways to go unfortunately. Cold up here now but really windy so having a hard time making ice, hopefully tonight and this weekend she’ll make some good ice. Not much snow on what ice there is so that will help also. Be careful you guys that do venture out on the south side though.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I just looked at a few areas on the north west side of the lake 20 minutes ago, still more open water then ice. I haven’t been down to the south side though. North side has a ways to go unfortunately. Cold up here now but really windy so having a hard time making ice, hopefully tonight and this weekend she’ll make some good ice. Not much snow on what ice there is so that will help also. Be careful you guys that do venture out on the south side though.
Got a few pics of a guy with a big northern he caught thru the ice on a tip up. Said he had 4"+ ice where he was. Unfortunately he didn't disclose that location. He walked out of course and said ice was good solid ice. Looked like no snow on the ice in the pics.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Lots of open water on Higgins on today’s NOAA satellite image, or it’s all crystal clear ice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How is Higgins shaping up? With all these cold nights, I hope she is locking up. Is the North state Park accessible yet? Thanks

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
How is Higgins shaping up? With all these cold nights, I hope she is locking up. Is the North state Park accessible yet? Thanks

Last I heard yesterday was it was all open from the high winds the past few days. That's hear say tho.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Thanks for updated info. Guess I stay on HL this weekend and do some exploring

Called Higgins lake sports shop last night. The owner said she thought it was still frozen. She said she will drive by this morning and check. I'll be calling her soon. I'll post my findings.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts