Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think guys struggle with perch on Higgins do to the clarity of the water. Perch like it dark. On Higgins, light penetrates the water to an average depth of 28ft. On most other Michigan lakes it's 8ft or less so guys are used to catching them shallower. You can nail them on Houghton at 8ft but it's not likely on Higgins, you have to go deeper. If you're catching rock bass and dinks, you are not deep enough.

·
Registered
20,902 Posts
I think guys struggle with perch on Higgins do to the clarity of the water. Perch like it dark. On Higgins, light penetrates the water to an average depth of 28ft. On most other Michigan lakes it's 8ft or less so guys are used to catching them shallower. You can nail them on Houghton at 8ft but it's not likely on Higgins, you have to go deeper. If you're catching rock bass and dinks, you are not deep enough.
Our last secchi disk reading was 47’. Zebra mussels have had an impact. The location we found resembles your comment, dark bottom, steep and deep drop.

Lifetime locals digging deep LOL. Got an X on a on a dropoff with submerged trees also.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've had my perch best days in recent years sight fishing in 14-17' of water over weeds. That Way I can more selectively target the bigger perch that are cruising through with the endless dinks. Also, it helps to use bigger blue minnows to weed out the smaller ones (two poles with minnows, one jigging/waxworm). But I would definitely agree that 38-60' has historically been my sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Too Warm !

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2588.JPG

North State park and West DNR launch, can’t see it in the pics but there’s still a lot of open water. Not safe ice yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
No problem. My family used to have a place on Higgins off of Lily Ln. right on the lake from 1994-2004, the place looks completely different now. That lake taught me how to fish, never pass up the opportunity to do a drive by.

Won’t be too long now!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
No problem. My family used to have a place on Higgins off of Lily Ln. right on the lake from 1994-2004, the place looks completely different now. That lake taught me how to fish, never pass up the opportunity to do a drive by.

Won’t be too long now!

Seems like about typical years. Right around the first into the second week of Feb it's thick enough for machines. Couple more days and we're getting some really cold nights for at least a week. That'll do it for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ice looks way better today then it did Saturday, like swampbuck said, it was pretty much wide open other then some shelf ice.

21 - 40 of 169 Posts