Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from an ice fishing/business trip. Fished Higgins the evening of 2/4 and caught 8 whitefish and three lakers. On 2/5 took about a dozen lakers and three whitefish. Fished only in the morning on 2/6 and took two whitefish and two lakers. There was a pile of snow on the lake. 4-wheelers could not venture from the beaten paths. There was lots of slush on the lake which repeatedly froze up our snowmobile tracks and made for tough going pulling a sled. Very few people out. We fished the north end in deep water. We never tried for perch, but reports were that they were running small this year. Smelt fishing was reported to be somewhat slow from the people we talked to as well.

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was the first time I had ever caught whitefish other than on the Great Lakes and it was fun. They also taste very good from Higgins, beter than Lake MI whitefish.

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by gomer
were you using tipups or jiggin? or both???
Nothing going on tipups or any live bait presentations for some reason. We took all our fish on salmon spawn.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Sometimes in early morning in sumemr, you see HUGE schools of whitefish on the dropoffs, in winter, no one goes for them, even though there are alot. JOC, what was the size of those lakers???? My guess is medium-small size, like 14-18 inches since they planted them last year at around 8 or 9 inches...

10,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think all but one of the lakers were keepers. Most were about 18-20".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts