Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to higgins lake this weekend, 6/16 thru 6/23 wanted to try for some lake trout and was wondering if anyone has been out and doing any good. And what would be some good baits to try i have downriggers and stuff so would prefer to troll than jig for them. And should i try the north end or the southside any help would be appreciated and pms are welcome

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I'll be there at the south state park June 24th -June 30th. I'm looking for basic info as well...

I've ice fished off the north state park shore many times... buts never in a boat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have fished that lake for about 6 years now. Some sit and jig off the bottom with swedish pimples, but I prefer to troll. I have found that the key is to get lure about 40 ft. back of the weight and troll about 1 -1.5. I use bombers or rapallas. One side I use cowbells and the other side I don't. The North side of the lake in about 80 fow (you will see all the others fishing there). I have my ball down about 70 or 75 ft deep. The bomber or Rapalla will dive down about 8 ft so it will be right at the bottom. When the lure stirs up the bottom it triggers the trout. The one down rigger with the cowbell I put right at the bottom or 5 ft above it. I also have had great luck putting a jenson egg on the back treble hook (the trout can smell it and it works). Some days are better than ever, and I fish at first light till about 11:00 and if I have my limit.
I hope this helps you. I found that there isn't much advise on this site for Higgins Lake especailly with all the people fishing up there :rolleyes:. Either they don't want to share or they don't belong to Michigan Sportsman:D.
Jerry

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
What looks like alot of people fishing that know things and won't divulge, 90% of the boats are people just like you guys, just out trying and trolling with lures in the water.

Higgins is not automatic when it comes to catching lakers inthe summer, its tough fishing most days. Ya have to get out there and experiment with what works for you and your equipment.

But some tips that will improve your chances. 1. Light line...Higgins is a clear lake, troll with 10-12 pound test as a leader, yup you will break off sometimes. Gear/lure setups should not be salmon gear. 2. Fish early morning, dark thirty. 3. If one can, sew a dead smelt to your cowbells setup...smelt frozen from winter fishing works better than any minnow or lure. 3. Bounce bottom, as mentioned. But keep in eye onthe graph, active lakers do suspend on bait balls. 4. Know the lake and structures(experience), there is alot of "dead" and deep water out there.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Ive found out in the past using my downriggers, is the lake trout i caught fishing deep didnt trip my releases off my cannon ball.. So set them light.. Will be up their at the end of July looking for the thermocline... and bait balls...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Beer and Nuts gave some good advise. Higgins is a tough lake to consistently put good Lakers in the boat on. The one thing I would add is if you can find the ball of smelt (anyone that has fished out there knows what I am talking about) you will get Lakers. The tip on salmon lures is dead on. My brother who lives near Higgins does real well on spoons and rarely uses anything you would find in the salmon section of any sporting goods store.

I just got home from Higgins, the perch were really biting good on Sunday. We caught a meal for four of just perch (we threw back all the rock bass this time). Decent sized fish that were from 7 to 11 inches. My daughters and I had a blast.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'd like to do some perch fishing at Higgins. I've ice fished it but never from a boat, where abouts (while not giving away your secret spot) is a good area to get some perch?

·
Registered
628 Posts
My parents like up at Higgins and we have fished it for years, the perch are hard to find consistently this time of year. Rock bass are all over and are also pretty good fried.

We caught a bunch of perch last weekend but it was sort of a surprise since we were expecting to catch rockies. The perch were deeper than the rock bass and started feeding much later. We caught our first perch at 11:30 and they fed till around 1:00 both on Sunday and Monday.

Watch the water since the perch will swim ten feet down at times and go right over your bait.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I never thought about rock bass. I've heard them are pretty good usually at the north west end near the boat launch. Is that about right on?

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
I never thought about rock bass. I've heard them are pretty good usually at the north west end near the boat launch. Is that about right on?
You can catch them about anywhere you can find a little structure or weeds. Out in front of little creek there is some diving structure's that hold an incredible amount, especially the cabin cruiser, 48 fow just south of mouth. Heres a incredible video from there, not mine

·
Registered
733 Posts
Neat video. Makes me want to check out that boat once the water warms up. For rockbass try trolling hot n tots. If you head straight out towards the island from that launch you should have some luck. 25 fow or less. They are very good fried and there are many over 11-12 inches. The neighbor got twenty this morning all over 9 inches.
Tried trout fishing today and it was a gorgeous morning. Too bad the fish weren't cooporating. I didn't see one caught out of two other boats. I got a pretty small one, but that was it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
I talked to a diver memorial day weekend. He told me that the biggest are in the boat and they get smaller as you move out, like there's a pecking order.

The diver lives near little creek and was having a yard sale, He had quite a collection of spuds and anchors from the area between big creek and NSP. If you lost one you liked he has the sale every memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Very cool video, I didn't know you could catch a horse out of Higgins!

·
Registered
304 Posts
How has fishing been this past week with cooler weather. I will be up Thursday and Friday. I was there over the fourth But way to many people n we had no action. I know Higgins is a finicky place that can be dead one day and world class the next but just wondering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts