Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,902 Posts
I havnt been out lately, a week ago I heard they were getting trout/whites..... and smelt at night.

I noticed last night that the smelt fishermen were out from the west launch and out by birch lodge. No idea on ice thickness or luck.......

Weather has sucked....SNOW+++, wind and cold -15 this am. Supposed to get better tommorow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i havent made it back out gotta work when it comes in come hell or high water i will be out next weekend any reports up till then will be appreciated

·
Registered
77 Posts
I fished the south end sat. and sun., weather was terrable, lots of snow on the ice making it hard to travel and edges are slushy.
Fish did not bite worth a darn, caught a few perch and smelt.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fished the last couple days and travel is about as tough as it gets on Higgins. The north basin has spots with a foot and a half or more of snow. Slush pockets are there and impossible to see until your in them. Be prepared if your going anywhere except the main path out to the smelt areas. I run a snowmobile and would not recommend anything else for now without a track. Bring a shovel or you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I run a snowmobile and would not recommend anything else for now without a track. Bring a shovel or you'll be sorry.

That doesn't sound like fun at all. Looks like I better get the snow runners ready for the next trip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anybody know what the ice thicknesses are like? All that snow can't be good for making ice and it was not great to begin with the last time I heard.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Does anybody know what the ice thicknesses are like? All that snow can't be good for making ice and it was not great to begin with the last time I heard.
There is a good six inches now in a spot that had two inches last weekend. I would probably say the entire lake has at least five inches, even the west side. It would still be a good idea to be careful though. There are quite a few slush spots even after yesterday's temps.:)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Heyy guys whats up i was just wondering if you can tell me how the fishing near South Sunken Island is we are going up there the weekend of the 17th-20 my uncle has a cabin sunken island is right out front of it and was lookin for some pointers

Thanks
Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts