Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone! I'm headed to Higgins again for the 4th and this time we're bringing the boat. I'm going up early next week to hopefully catch some fish. I've never caught a lake trout somehow and it needs to change. I don't have down riggers so would that make trolling out of the question? What lures for jigging are usually effective this time of year? I figure they are real deep around dropoffs and stuff so that's where we will start. Nonetheless a nice lil PM for locations to try would be awesome :). Thanks in advance!
P.s. I have frozen salted smelt I didn't eat if that would work.

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
Hopkins spoons, Swedish pimples, Sandkickers, etc. you need heavy jigs to pound the bottom to stir up silt. You will be in the 85-90' range.

Are you familiar with the lake. I don't use GPS, but can give you some landmarks to line up.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Hopkins spoons, Swedish pimples, Sandkickers, etc. you need heavy jigs to pound the bottom to stir up silt. You will be in the 85-90' range.

Are you familiar with the lake. I don't use GPS, but can give you some landmarks to line up.
I've never fished Higgins, but I was just going to suggest Swedish pimples because we catch a TON of lake trout on a lake in Ontario that way. We park on a reef, cast to deep water (typically 50'-200'), let it sink and pull it back slowly. Sometimes we vary the retrieve. And sometimes we tip it with a minnow. But the bare pimple usually works very well. I wasn't sure if this would work on Higgins though.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Would a Kastmaster work like a Swedish pimple? I have a dozen or more of them, seems awfully similar... How do you add a minnow to that? Line off the back? Or just hook it on the treble?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks swampbuck, ducky, and all day! Exactly the info I was looking for. I think we'll have success now. Any info on rockbass or perch? Ha I know the perch guys are always tight lipped so I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Would a Kastmaster work like a Swedish pimple? I have a dozen or more of them, seems awfully similar... How do you add a minnow to that? Line off the back? Or just hook it on the treble?
With pimples in Ontario we just put them on the hook through the lips. I've got some Kastmasters too, and you would think they'd work just as well, but for some reason I've had better luck with pimples.

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
On the north side of the lake, just east of north park. There is a climbing tower with a gold cross on top, you can see it from the lake. You want to be straight south of that cross, and roughly on a line from the entrance to the North park channel and the north tip of the island in about 90'. That will put you on the jigging grounds. That spot has a marl bottom which makes a good silt cloud. Popular spot, so there might be people in the area. Highly recommend you be fishing when the horizon starts getting light. First 2 hours of daylight is best....drop to bottom jig up 3', free fall to bottom, repeat.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Heading up for a few days of fishing myself. Is anyone doing well on the rainbows? We have tried a few things for them while fishing lakers over the years and have yet to pick one up.

We have tried various techniques (planner boards with cranks at different levels, spoons off the boards with inline weights, leadcore, ect..) to pick up the bows that are feeding in the top third of the lake. We have even cast a variety of things at the ones that feed close to the boat while we troll past.

Any insight would be appreciated. We have the lakers dialed in pretty well but it would be fun to catch a little a few rainbows out there. PM's are welcome.

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
Bows have not done very well for many years, but they are in there. More of a hard water thing. Fly hatch should be happening soon. If you catch that you would see amazing things.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If it is calm big bows are feeding all over the place on the surface but I have not seen one caught, at least where we were trolling. The fish are too spread out to cast flies to but that would be an amazing way to catch them.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts