Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Any one know a good taxidermist?

Any one what to guess the length and weight?

My brother did a great job putting us on fish the other day. We caught 3 three 7 or 8 lbs and this pig. Today, only the flies were biting.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both of you are close. I am 6'5" so the fish is actually a little bigger than it looks by me.

40 inches and over 26 lbs. I wonder what it would have weighted if if had been full of spawn.

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
Both of you are close. I am 6'5" so the fish is actually a little bigger than it looks by me.

40 inches and over 26 lbs. I wonder what it would have weighted if if had been full of spawn.
Great fish, Hard to say what it would have weighed. We see some that are rather slender and some that have big hawg bellies. Likely would have been close to 30lb.

The top of the scale has decreased some in recent years. Ten years ago fish in that size were more common (not to imply that they were common). On todays scale, You did VERY well.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The biggest I have seen was caught in the mid 90's, it was 35 lbs and caught through the ice. The fish was too big for the hole so the person who had it hooked let it swim down and carefully cut two more holes and spudded the middle out and then gaffed it on to the ice.

The fish was a giant and stuffed with smelt. It was caught on a tip up with a real large minnow and in an area that most people don't think of as a laker location.

·
Registered
20,903 Posts
Thats about the biggest I have seen also, caught by a friend about 10 years ago. There's a photo behind the counter at the bait shop of 2 guys holding it. Nowdays any laker over 20lb is a very big one. Last winter most of the trout I caught were between 28-32".... 36" was the biggest. I dont have much luck with the big fish.

I was present for a pike to big for the hole in the early 80's. It was early thin ice and one guy reched in and held the fish while the other spudded the hole out around his arm.:lol: That was 57" but only 19lb, I think it was on its last leg, pretty thin. should have been in the high 30's. It made one hell of a head mount though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very Nice!

Good to see that they do exists been I have made 2 trips with my young son trying to get one on the line for him. Been Skunked each outing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very Nice!

Good to see that they do exists been I have made 2 trips with my young son trying to get one on the line for him. Been Skunked each outing.
AWESOME FISH!! I have caught more lakers there than I could ever count and never a fish like that. Biggest there was just over 15 lbs. That is an amazing fish!

Wrif101.....PM sent your way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts