Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Not without a boat, but it won't be too long IF this front actually gets here. Couple weeks for the smelt grounds I would think.:(

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Maybe if you have a kayak....when we went to houghton, not a spot of ice across the entire lake, but, i felt the water, i felt 32 degrees, i think by this weekend, mos tof the lake will be froze of with 1 or 2 inches(maybe less) of ice, then, it will stay cold for a long time, i would say it will take 2 weeks for the smelt grouds to get safe ice, probaily around 4 or so inches, maybe more......i hope the smelt population went down, i mean, it was very fun, but, it made the perch and, everything else suck on that lake...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Hey CTT,

Just kinda curious, how do you figure that the booming smelt populations on Higgins is hurting any of the fish numbers. I couldn't tell you how many trout I've caught out of there that have been absolutely stuffed with them. More baitfish means more and bigger predator fish.

Mitch

·
Registered
219 Posts
Walked down to the lake this morning at 5:30, and it appeared that a good deal of freezing occurred over night.... of course it should with a wind chill of -20! Wind was strong, and it will be interesting to see if the new sheet of ice can stay in place with it blowing. If it does, good ice will follow shortly. Don't pack your trucks up yet, however!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just went home for lunch, and the little ice we had has been blown to smithereens. The North end of the lake is two foot waves and whitecaps, assume the South basin is the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Are we making ice on higgins yet?? Looking to do some fishing next weekend (Jan 16th).....winds are down, here in the south MI. What do you fortunate locals predict?

·
Registered
219 Posts
A timely question! I just went home for lunch, and there is a coating of ice that appears to cover the whole lake (can't say that for sure in the middle). It cannot be safe yet, but it won't take long if the temps stay where they are.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mick, Thanks for the update.... I guess I'll take my chances and not postpone the trip... whats the worst that can happen.... forced to fish Houghton and enjoy the Tip Up festivities!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
A buddy from the South end of the lake just called, and said there are full sized shanties on the ice down there (it freezes first). Of course, there are fools born every day...:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts