Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered what the current ice conditions and fishing quality for smelt and perch were? Perch in the South basin or North Basin?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
fished the west side out of the boat launch shore ice sucked but if you put your foot thru its only knee deep usually once out on the ice it seemed to be plenty thick and suprisingly dry no slush or water

·
Registered
11,852 Posts
We were running sleds all over the west side on sat... no problems with the ice except by the shore.. stay away from the creeks though.

Got about 300 smelt in about 4 hours between 3 guys.. Spent alot of time looking for them, but when we found them it was some hot fishing. Fished the NW part of the lake.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We fished the south end for perch this past weekend. While we didnt do very well, I saw some people that got quite a few perch. One gut and his son had 100 on Saturday. He was using wigglers and minnows. There was a little shanty about the size of a doghouse there, most perch fisherman were in that area. The best bite was early like 7-9am. Travel toward the middle of the lake was tough, we kept breaking through the top layer into the slush and getting stuck with our quads.
The shore area on the west side at smeltville was bad. After the rain Friday a couple of trucks were out there, I think they broke it up even more at the shore. It snowed a little so that you couldnt see the bad spots. When I drove my quad in at 11pm the back dropped thru and rolled me enough that I fell into the slush near shore. It wasnt dangerous, just very wet and cold. I walked out Saturday, stayed a little dryer. Some people got smelt we didnt get very many for the time we spent there. They were there, I put down a light and could see hundreds, just couldnt get them to bite. Quite a party out there, lots of people having a good time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts