Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bunch of smelt in the shack village then went deep for lakers off the north park. Set live smelt on one tip up which didnt produce anything then jigged a 4" white chomper tube.. smelled like garlic and salt.. mmm mm good. stuck a fireball jig in it and had a red treble stinger hanging out in the skirt! I dropped the thing down to the bottom and a few minutes later saw a fish on the flasher.. raised it off the bottom at least 10 feet before it grabbed hold.. small fish probably a laker.. nope.. a round whitefish!! No idea how he thought he was gonna fit that thing in his lil bitty mouth but he tried.. to bad he was all full of parasites he would have tasted good. Yea so I got two small lakers.. and missed a couple good strikes! Then I started playing around with a big mark on the screen pulling it off the bottom almost 15 feet was in 100 fow fought it for a good long while on light line and then lost a great laker about 10lbs right below the stinking ice! GRRRRRRRRRRR... oh well it was a blast watching them things on the flasher!!

Sideshow

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
sideshow,

sounds like you had a great time, bummer you lost that nice one.:eek:

Did you walk out there or did you have transportation(atv,sled)? How was the ride, still alot of slush.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a pretty good amount of slush but the ride would have been much better than... me hoofin it out there pulling my shanty flasher power auger and beer behind me.... about a mile out or so... shed some layers when I got done!

Sideshow

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sideshow,
Your "round whitefish" was probably a Cisco, especially since you said it had parasites. The cisco in Higgins are loaded with the little worms. I've never noted them in either the whitefish or lakers.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yup, mickd is right, you no doubt had a cisco, small mouth worms equals cisco on Higgins, caught a few jigging last year in 135 feet about 15-20 off bottom on big jigs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright guys that would make sense since when I caught it my mind didnt register it as a whitefish... different style mouth and the pectorals stuck straight out like a smelts fins would instead of flat agaisnt the side. Is anyone interested in fishing next tuesday with me out there? I really would like to catch some lakers and would be willing to get smelt in the morning for bait if anyone would like to school me up on catching a few of them big boys. If not maybe some help on another spot than just walking around blind!! Haha..

Sideshow

1 - 6 of 6 Posts