Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be hunting with my dog this falling in and near the Hiawatha National Forest near Munising. I am concerned about wolves and the safety of using a pointing dog given the increasing wolf population in the upper peninsula . Does anyone have experience with upland hunting in this area and dog safety?

·
Registered
306 Posts
We regularly hunt about 25 miles southeast of there. In three years, we saw one wolf while we were driving a back road...and have crossed many tracks. Have not heard of wolves attacking pointing dogs....most often hounds, because of their baying. The wolves STILL concern me, though.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I live in the U.P. and have seen one wolf while walking my dogs behind my house. My husband saw one cross the road heading onto our property a few weeks ago.

I posted on the Spaniel Corner II and this was what Dauber (very knowledgeable about U.P. wolves) wrote:

As I stated above, anywhere you are in the UP you can encounter a wolf, even downtown Marquette or the Soo. A good place to start is here... http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...7524--,00.html

If there has been recent dog attacks in an area I tell people to avoid it. These are either home site areas, or conflict areas between packs. Keep an eye open for droppings, wolf droppings are large and have chucks of bone in them. Droppings can be seen driving along logging trails and if the wolf is marking its territory the droppings will be in the middle of the trail. The hog Island road area near Naubinway is a conflict area and most days you will see fresh piles in the road.

Most of the dog killings occur in mid to late August, is usually hounds (they are barkers that helps draw in wolves) This is the time of year that the pups of the year are just starting to run with the pack and the pack is VERY protective at that time especially if they hear howling. The other time that is bad for beagles is late Jan.-Feb. the breeding season for wolves. Again howling and barking is interpreted as a challenge to the wolves territory at a time they are being especially territorial. Bird dogs that are not howling are at much less danger. I would not say no danger...but then dogs are hit by cars, run through by sticks and killed by bear much more often.

If I come across various aged tracks and/or droppings that indicated frequent visits, stay clear. Otherwise wolves check their boundaries more on a 5-10 day rotation. Stay aware and enjoy being out. Sometime in the next half year or so there should be an article I helped with on hunting in wolf country should come out in one of the dog magazines.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The credit goes entirely to Dauber. :)

I thought of something else that's good to know. Wolves will "shock" howl if you blow the horn on your car or fire a shot - like the way turkeys will "shock" gobble.

Our spaniel training group was training in an area where wolves are known to live. We could hear them howling off in the distance every time a gun would go off. We just kept on eye out to be sure they weren't coming for a visit. Of course, spaniels are kept in range and not out of sight often unless they're, for instance, on a retrieve.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Thanks JAM. Saved me some typing😀. Yours and my dogs stay close but last time I was over we had to search for our leaders dog😉.

A couple of years ago the "Mint Farm" was a home area for wolves. I haven't checked the last year or so though. I trapped one there that was radio collared last time I was there.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Thanks JAM. Saved me some typing😀. Yours and my dogs stay close but last time I was over we had to search for our leaders dog😉.

A couple of years ago the "Mint Farm" was a home area for wolves. I haven't checked the last year or so though. I trapped one there that was radio collared last time I was there.
Hey Dauber, Haha! I forgot about that. Little Roxy decided to go rabbit hunting or something on her own. Good thing she didn't find any "rabbits" with big teeth! :)

Enlighten me. Where's the "Mint Farm"?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hey Dauber, Haha! I forgot about that. Little Roxy decided to go rabbit hunting or something on her own. Good thing she didn't find any "rabbits" with big teeth! :)

Enlighten me. Where's the "Mint Farm"?

Between Manistique and Shingleton off of M94.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts