Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with this stuff? Is it any good? Got some 80lb for musky fishing but just purchased a spool of 30lb for a heavy bass/pike rod and was testing the strength with a fish scale I got, it keeps breaking between 22-28lbs. Making me second guess if I should use it or not. Would like to hear others experience with it.

·
Registered
12,019 Posts
Anyone have experience with this stuff? Is it any good? Got some 80lb for musky fishing but just purchased a spool of 30lb for a heavy bass/pike rod and was testing the strength with a fish scale I got, it keeps breaking between 22-28lbs. Making me second guess if I should use it or not. Would like to hear others experience with it.
Have you tested other line and had similar results? If so i assume you are tying a knot of some sort at one or both ends to test it. Is it failing at the knot?

Typically you will fail at a knot and typically the knot you use will greatly change the results. My son did a test once in 6th grade for a science fair project. He tested a bunch of brands and types of 8lb line for strength and stretch. He tied a large hook at one end and a loop at the other. Every brand failed at his knot at 4lbs except 1. I taught him a better knot and each brand failed at the knot again at 6lbs. The line itself was likely 8lb rating until it was degraded with a knot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard of it, before. But do you really think Bass, and Pike are going to pull 22# pounds-worth? Do your reels have drags? I catch Bass, and Pike on 6# mono.
I’ve always used 8# mono for bass and pike but since getting into musky fishing I’d prefer to keep stronger line on this “multi species” rod.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tested other line and had similar results? If so i assume you are tying a knot of some sort at one or both ends to test it. Is it failing at the knot?

Typically you will fail at a knot and typically the knot you use will greatly change the results. My son did a test once in 6th grade for a science fair project. He tested a bunch of brands and types of 8lb line for strength and stretch. He tied a large hook at one end and a loop at the other. Every brand failed at his knot at 4lbs except 1. I taught him a better knot and each brand failed at the knot again at 6lbs. The line itself was likely 8lb rating until it was degraded with a knot.
I’ve been experimenting with new knots and lines because I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment, tried a polomar, trilene, and double uni and all broke before 30lbs, some on the knot and a couple times the line broke in the middle. That is interesting tho, I have read there is no such thing as a 100% knot, but have also read some knots hold above the lines breaking strength. So I guess another question would be what is the ultimate best knot for braid...

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
Here's a challenge, since you're bored. Get your stoutest rod. Put some of that line on a reel, and put that reel on the stout rod. Tie a 3# brick to the end of the line, and see if you can reel it up off the floor. Then think about whether fish pull that hard, or not.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
You need to buy some 30 pound spools of PowerPro, Spiderwire, and 832 to do the same testing. When they all break right at 30 pounds, initiate a warranty claim with Hi Seas. You’ll have the proof that all the other lines break right at 30 pounds, so they will have to send you a new spool or give you your money back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts