Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your Chessie "Roo"? Mine has done this all 12 1/2 years of her life and her puppies would do it too. Most of the time she does it when we come home from somewhere and she's happy the pack has been reunited. This particular time she was asking for a drink from the bathtub faucet. I've always wondered if it was something she did or something typical to the breed.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCM_ZrQ-Ov0"]YouTube- Roo[/ame]

·
Registered
187 Posts
Dude - she's "talking" to you. Some chessies are talkers, bet you could teach her to say a couple of words, like "love you" or something. She is a character and much smarter than you think.
Our older girl was a talker too, and our youngest will give us a whoo-wooo-wooo-wooo when she is happy, or when we just point to her.

How funny, enjoy her, nothing wrong, except she knows how to tell you want she wants.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Chessies aren't the only talkers. Both of my boxers have been talkers with the one in my avatar being the most vocal. He and I would go on and on for a long time, deep in "conversation". My family thought I was nuts.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Does he bite at trailer tires too??? (hello Shiawasee kid...) :evilsmile

My last setter talked a lot. Especially if we were outside doing something, and he was left inside the house. Sometimes in the summer he was so loud I'd practically fall down laughing. Sounded like a freakin' elephant in the house "calling" for us. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
My old lab (avatar) is a big talker - but does not bark. (what a blessing!)

he sounds like yours when I come home.

~~~~
must admit though; when I saw your thread title, my first thought was "jumping" - as in Kanga-roo.

which to my surprise, my young lab is quite proficient! Standing high jump? 6ft. Easy squezzy.
before I put a roof on the 6ft kennel, you could see her noggin over the top

I know she's ready to come in from outside when I see this stomach and hind legs bouncing up through the back door window! (that and the audible; "da-dump. da-dump. da-dump" as she lands hard to then spring up again! :p )

·
Registered
233 Posts
My chessie does this all the time. Her really strange habit has to do with her drinking water. She will not drink out of her water bowl unless she sees you fill it with fresh water, on the other hand she will go outside adn drink out of every mud puddle she sees. Strange but loveable breed.:dizzy:

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
I'd be buying that Tire Insurance policy from Bell Tire!

I still want to meet this Otto character

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
My chessie does this all the time. Her really strange habit has to do with her drinking water. She will not drink out of her water bowl unless she sees you fill it with fresh water, on the other hand she will go outside adn drink out of every mud puddle she sees. Strange but loveable breed.:dizzy:
I hear ya there....drink water right from the hose when it's running, fill the water dish with the same water ? Nope ! It's gotta be water from inside the house. Jumper as well, but only a little over 4ft....her legs are shorter and she carry's more weight than Branta's jumper.....lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
LOL She's got a pretty solid tone, put her in the choir. My dog does not bark much at all but "talks" like crazy and varies the pitch a lot more. He usually does it when company comes over and instead of letting him jump and nose their personal space I make him stay in a down position. It's hilarious. I've never heard a dog "talk" so much.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've always thought it was great that she roo's. She's definitely the most intelligent dog I've ever owned too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice to hear it's not just my chocolate and golden retriever that are that way with the water. Neither dog will drink old water (over 3 hours in the bowl) from the bowl, but will drink any drop they can find outside.

·
Registered
8,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Otto bites trailer tires! Sounds like he could be one of Georgia's descendants. She was quite the chewer the first couple years of her life. Dog beds, xmas presents, plastic food crocks, sticks, her crate, dog toys, socks. My wife learned the hydrogen peroxide trick when the "sock game" came to an abrupt end one night with her sock disappearing down the hatch. Now she tries to sneak off with a stick or piece of bark and eat it. She also swiped a swiffer wet wipe out of the trash unseen and spent a night at MSU for that one.

·
Registered
11,742 Posts
Otto bites trailer tires! Sounds like he could be one of Georgia's descendants. She was quite the chewer the first couple years of her life. Dog beds, xmas presents, plastic food crocks, sticks, her crate, dog toys, socks. My wife learned the hydrogen peroxide trick when the "sock game" came to an abrupt end. Now she tries to sneak off with a stick or piece of bark and eat it. She also swiped a swiffer wet wipe out of the trash unseen and spent a night at MSU for that one.
We're not talking just chewing on normal stuff. Otto chews on them while they are moving or rotating (i.e. backhoe buckets, tractor tires). Sometimes he sacrifices his body for the good of the kill.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When you do begin to post, make sure your profile is filled out - we like to know a bit about you before you'll be taken too seriously. Don't start a thread with your first post, unless it's a post to introduce yourself. When you've posted a bit on other threads, a thread you start will be treated with greater respect.
What?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts