Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine (Really, honestly) brand new to hunting last year asked me a question I couldn't answer. The question was; Is shooting after hours (and missing the goose) a misdemeanor or a C.I.? The friend got tagged for that last year, and paid a $275 fine, but never went before a judge.

The friend, incidentally, now referrs directly to the hunting and trapping guide, rather than rely on a hunting "mentor" who said "Those times are just guidelines". Uh huh.

------------------
If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always gotten...Is it enough?

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
It is a misdemeanor. Boy, that the highest fine I have ever heard for late shooting at waterfowl. Guess I'm not sure if that's good or bad, how late was he? Did he go to federal court or state court?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the story goes that it was within 10 minutes of shooting hours. I wasn't there, so I can't say. Additionally, though, is the fact that my friend's "mentor" has a somewhat lengthy record of violating (and is in fact suspended this year), and seems to have a mouth problem...which could account for the ticket being issued in the first place, and maybe the high fine.

The other part of the story, that I really don't understand now that you said it's a misdemeanor, is that my friend didn't go to any court of any kind, and just received, and paid, the fine. I always kinda thought that misdemeanor violations were a mandatory court appearance...?

Boher, do you figure that I'm missing something here?

------------------
If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always gotten...Is it enough?

[This message has been edited by Mainspring (edited 12-17-2000).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Boehr,

Is it possible to pay such a fine without having to go to court?

------------------

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Most violations are misdemeanors and most can be taken care of by mail. They telephone the court and the court tells them what the fine is for whatever charge and they mail it to the court. No appearance required.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okie doke. Thanks for clearing that up boehr. I appreciate it.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.