Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabin fever… Besides daydreaming about a thaw, spent some time on the vise this week. Hex patterns, or “headbangers” with the addition of some color on the posterior end. They’ve been a go-to fly for me, especially in early spring.

What are some of your favorite steelhead patterns before the eggs start rolling down the river?
Ring binder Wood Office supplies Font Insect

Arthropod Insect Bait Invertebrate Fashion accessory

·
Super Moderator
6,827 Posts
Cool pattern. I've never seen that variation of the pattern before. If you want to switch it up further, just substitute the yarn in the rear for a small piece of yellow, tan or gray rabbit strip to simulate the abdomen with gills. The abdomen is what they use to swim and it really moves.

Here is a picture of the actual hexagenia nymph:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Great bugs! Cool variation!!!!

A pheasant rump patch is great for hex nymphs as well. Here’s one I tie with pheasant rump, cream hares ear, thin skin, gold wire and large eyes. I use the after shaft marabou for the tail and gills. The legs are palmered pheasant rump.
Grass Hat Font Wood Christmas ornament

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
154 Posts

A pheasant rump patch is great for hex nymphs as well. Here’s one I tie with pheasant rump, cream hares ear, thin skin, gold wire and large eyes. I use the after shaft marabou for the tail and gills. The legs are palmered pheasant rump.
View attachment 815238

View attachment 815238

Do you wrap leadwire on these or fish them without the weight? I tie them both ways but I like the weight when I fish faster water. Those are great looking hex nymphs. I have tied a lot of them using grouse feathers but I’ve never tried the pheasant. I think I will give that a try to. I have a ton of pheasant feathers that I need to use and this is a good idea to try.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Do you wrap leadwire on these or fish them without the weight? I tie them both ways but I like the weight when I fish faster water. Those are great looking hex nymphs. I have tied a lot of them using grouse feathers but I’ve never tried the pheasant. I think I will give that a try to. I have a ton of pheasant feathers that I need to use and this is a good idea to try.
These are not weighted.

·
Super Moderator
6,827 Posts
Here's an extended-body Hexagenia nymph I tied years ago:
Insect Yellow Pollinator Larva Arthropod

It uses burnt monofilament eyes, pheasant tail wing case with pheasant after-shaft feathers as gills. The extended body is made by twisting yarn until it can double back on itself before securing to the hook.

I used to have some nicer examples but they're long since gone. This one was found in an old fly box for Steelhead.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Been trying to tie some of the articulated “Pixie Hex” It’s a pattern the guys at Nomad Anglers put out a tutorial on. Some early growing pains, but there starting to look much better. View attachment 817256
Those are really cool. I’ve been meaning to tie some for awhile now. I’ve got the shanks and everything. I’ll have to try next chance I get at the vise.

Reactions: TonyP

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Here's an extended-body Hexagenia nymph I tied years ago:
View attachment 816474

It uses burnt monofilament eyes, pheasant tail wing case with pheasant after-shaft feathers as gills. The extended body is made by twisting yarn until it can double back on itself before securing to the hook.

I used to have some nicer examples but they're long since gone. This one was found in an old fly box for Steelhead.
That’s a really cool fly mister!!!

Reactions: PunyTrout

·
Super Moderator
6,827 Posts
That’s a really cool fly mister!!!

There were several variations with micro cone-heads or pheasant tail with after-shaft woven over top, thru the tail of the extended body etc. You need a special tool like a bobbin threader to pull the fibers thru the last bit of the twisted yarn section.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
@adam bomb

Regarding post #16

The special tool that works well is the old style dental floss loops if you can still find them.

They're an excellent bobbin threader too.
Thank you for the tip! Fly tyer’s are so crafty!

Reactions: PunyTrout
1 - 18 of 18 Posts