Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Herring Fishing Lower St Mary's

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sgc 
#1 ·
I'm heading up July 4th for some herring fishing in the Drummond Island and Raber Bay area of the Lower St Mary's River. Any information on where the herring run is at would be much appreciated.

Fisher100

#2 ·
They have been catching herring off Lime island for a week. Some days better than others. I will be out in the area the next few days too. Good luck Fisher100!

#3 ·
Went fishing Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Did good each day on Wed. did good by Lime island, Friday lime was slow so moved to Big Trout and Butterfield. And on Saturday did good by Burnt Island. Basically there were rafts of boats around a lot of the islands and everyone was catching fish. Talked with a DNR field survey fellow and he said that the DNR is considering milking herring and doing some planting as it has slowed down the last few years and they think that since the alewives have diminished that the salmon may be keying in on the herring now. Took us about 5 - 5 1/2 hours to limit out, three in the boat for our 36 fish each day, we used to limit in about 3 hours. Now to firing the smoker and mixing the pickling juice for some good eats.

#7 ·
I was there on the 2nd of july,fish for salmon for a couple hours in the morning, went 1 for 4 on atlanics then pulled up by andrews island and did very well on herring & white fish, alot of big white fish. also fished prentiss bay the day before and did very well on herring.

#9 ·
Stan,
The crestliner boat will work well in that area but you have to watch the weather. It is big water and if the wind picks up it can get rough. Pay attention to the forecast for the winds for the day and you will be fine. Have fun, the herring run is usually over by the latter part of July.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.