Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dread even posting this but I think its worth talking about.

A friend of mine has a family property of only about 10 acres. They have private land all around them. They hunt and kill deer every year. They were out on opening day and a few days after that and killed a few deer.

Well this last weekend they were out and when coming through their land found 7 yearling deer that were all in about a 15 yard circle with there bodies have been torn apart. The deer were VERY small and still had the intestines, and everything. They called me and I told them to call the DNR. They did and finally made it out last night and the DNR officer wouldnt elaborate, but took about 30 pictures.

Now I am a NON BELIEVER that cougars have a breeding population in our state, but I cant think of any other animal that would bring their kill to a place. He said there is NO WAY a hunter did this.

What do you guys think, and be honest NO BIGFOOT or rotting smell stuff..

even thought that is funny.....LOL

There are NO wolves down here, coyotes dont do that, so what else could it be?????

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
are these fresh kills or are the at different stages of decomposure.

Maybe coyotes had a den there and were bringing fawns back.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dajumboman said:
its hard to believe that a couger could kill that many deer in such a small area
I agree, and maybe its more like 20 yards, but dont they kill and take back somewhere else to eat. It just doesnt make sense. The DNR officer is a close friend of this family and they are now going to wait to see what comes next. I just see it very interesting.

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
mich buckmaster said:
...found 7 yearling deer that were all in about a 15 yard circle....
I find it hard to believe that any animal would kill 7 deer and bring them back to one spot. However, I would find it probable that the deer were placed there by a person and other animals (various) were feeding off the carcasses of these dead animals.

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
Wild guess, but could it have been a lightning strike and then the dead animals were scavanged on? We have had some ups and downs in the weather lately.

Strange stuff nonetheless.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Was there any sign of them being shot? That would take a lot of coyote's to do something like that I would think, unless it was one huge pack.

·
Registered
20,128 Posts
:confused: Very confusing. Although I have seen a coyote drag a HUGE, BLOATED doe across a 12 foot creek. Oh, heres the other thing. Did you find any "scat" in the area? I had "something" eat the gut pile of a deer I shot, and right next to it was a huge pile of vomit or crap, that was full of acorns and corn. This was from the stomach of the deer, the corn was from my baitpile the acorns from an Oak not too far from me,, but there musta been a hundred acorns in this pile. Whatever ate that stomach got real sick, real quick, you might wanna take a peek around for something like that.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Please don't tell me your going to the dark side....;)

Wild guess, but could it have been a lightning strike and then the dead animals were scavanged on? We have had some ups and downs in the weather lately.

Or could it have been disese that killed them, then yotes started feeding on them?

Even still, maybe someone did shoot them and dump'em there, then they were scavanged on.

We need Wildlife CSI...:lol:

·
Registered
82 Posts
My first thought was the same as boehr, someone placed them there and animals had been feeding on them. Do they have a problem with any of their neighbors?

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boehr said:
I find it hard to believe that any animal would kill 7 deer and bring them back to one spot. However, I would find it probable that the deer were placed there by a person and other animals (various) were feeding off the carcasses of these dead animals.
I thought the same thing, but the odd thing is that they were all very small deer. He said some werent more than 50lbs. A lady came out to investigate Ray and took pictures. I wont name names, but it was on Marcellus Highway. I will find out more today and make some calls.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
We did have a good thunderstorm not too long ago....deer have been struck before. But all yearlings? That is kind of strange.

I tend to agree with Boehr....foul play involved.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Looking forward to hearing about this one. I kind of like the lightning thoughts..but very weird whatever it is, even human.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Really odd and interesting at the same time. Keep us informed. Is it normal for your friends to see 7 fawns together? If you talk to them again, ask if there were drag marks or if it looked like they may have been killed there. Was the meat ripped into as well or just the guts?

·
Premium Member
6,342 Posts
We had seven deer just three miles from us found dead that were close to each other the day after a thunderstorm.
(lightning was the cause)
If there all in the same state of decomposition,I'd suspect that as the cause.

Or a coyote hunter throwing out road kill to hunt over.

·
Administrator
17,516 Posts
boehr said:
I agree with Boehr; people put these animals here. It is not natural for the animal kingdom to kill and waste 7 deer. <----<<<

·
Registered
26,563 Posts
Watched an interesting show on PBS the other night about wolves in Michigan. I'm not saying it was wolves but wanted to mention what they do with kills in the winter. The carcus (sp?) won't decompose as fast (of course) or at all if it's frozen. They said the wolves would kill several animals and leave them lie, until later. They won't open them up so that the ravens, coyotes etc. can't get it.

Haven't seen any large silver discs in the area? :D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts