Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:help: What herbicides and application methods do you use to keep your spuce seedlings weed and grass free. Other than pre treating the planting site with a roundup application prior to planting. I know we can shield them and circle spray them by hand with Roundup but am looking to maintain approx 2000. Has anyone ever used Velpar?? I have also heard you can spray a light roundup mix over spruces in late summer, but not sure if this is accurate. Hoping to find something that I can spray over top or band them with. Has anyone used Princep 4L or know what it costs???
We will be planting a roadside screening with white spruce and a second site with norway spruce.Looking for a three to five year maintenace method to get them off to a good start. I think its going to be a bit cold for a roundup application to be effective this weekend in NE michigan.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I have used princep with good results. Don't spray until the second growing season. I know one friend that sprays after a few good rains.

I spray with roundup the first year. Then spray with princep in March, it must be applied to exposed soil, "from the roundup sprayings".

You can always put sawdust around them. You can usually get it at no cost.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I agree with Bish. 2 quarts of Princep (or the generic) will give you residual that roundup won't. Wait at least a year after transplanting and use 25 gallons of water per acre. Works good and not much more $ than Roundup.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Anderson, regarding Princep. I have areas with trees/shrubs that I have planted, and many that are coming up naturally. They are surrounded with perrenial weeds, with the majority being goldenrod. I figure spraying princep in March would not suppress these weeds. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Bishs, I've never tried princep on goldenrod. You can take the use rate up to 4 quarts and do some experimenting. I will also check around and see if I can find something else to use in combination with the Princep.

Tim

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Anderson do you know the generic for Princep? And you can spray right over top of spruce correct? I will have to do some detail work with the roundup so I get good soil contact. Too much residue probaly will not offer good results.

Has anyone ever used SURFLAN ????

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Impact,
Princep's chemical name is simazine. There are several generics usually with a play off simazine. The one I've used is Simtrol. I usually spray Princep earlier in the spring (before the pines and weeds start to grow), and have not had a problem spraying over the top. the label doesn't mention needing a post directed spray. Princep will work itself down through trash on the ground. It just doesn't kill weeds that are up.

I've never used Surflan. Surflan has been around for a long time. It also works on the roots of weeds. I don't know what advantages it has over Princep. I did check the label and they don't want the spray to be left on the pines. I expect there are others here a lot smarter than me on this one.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts