Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
No. And don't take this the wrong way but really? Those have not one characteristic of a hen other than growing next to a tree. Yes those are Honeys yes they are edible yes there is a deadly look alike to them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. And don't take this the wrong way but really? Those have not one characteristic of a hen other than growing next to a tree. Yes those are Honeys yes they are edible yes there is a deadly look alike to them.
Thank you. Very much appreciate your help. What is the deadly look alike and how do you tell them apart? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thank you. Very much appreciate your help. What is the deadly look alike and how do you tell them apart? Thanks.
if your not sure whaht your picking your only asking for it. learn hands on from someone experienced
beffore you hurt yourself or others.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Honey mushrooms will have a white spore print. Deadly Galerina and other look alikes will have a brown or rusty brown spore print.

My friend brought over some mushrooms he thought were honeys. They were not. I took him across the road and showed him some real honeys. He said he would have a hard time telling the difference. So I set up a spore print of the two mushrooms to teach him to do spore prints. On the top are the mushrooms he picked. On the bottom are the honeys I picked.

Food Product Textile Organism Ingredient

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Honey mushrooms will have a white spore print. Deadly Galerina and other look alikes will have a brown or rusty brown spore print.

My friend brought over some mushrooms he thought were honeys. They were not. I took him across the road and showed him some real honeys. He said he would have a hard time telling the difference. So I set up a spore print of the two mushrooms to teach him to do spore prints. On the top are the mushrooms he picked. On the bottom are the honeys I picked.

View attachment 792163
Been picking for over 50 years never needed spore prints, you just know. Learned from others hand on is best way in my opinion, just sayin.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Been picking for over 50 years never needed spore prints, you just know. Learned from others hand on is best way in my opinion, just sayin.
I agree. I rarely do spore prints. Only the first time I find a new mushroom I have never picked before. Just to be 100 percent sure. I always know what color spore print to expect before starting.
When you have no one to show you hands on, it is a good thing to do before eating something you have never seen before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still finding fresh hens down here in Wayne County, seems all this rain has brought out some new ones. Last week I thought we were about done getting hens, because most of what I was finding was older.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts