Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Honda Foreman 450es 4x4. While towing in a stranded Ice fisherman thru the deep snow 10 miles. My Honda started to overheat and gave off a bad smell.
Put it in the heated garage overnight and just now I took it for a ride, it starts up and appears to have power but man does it stink. I checked the oil and it appears to be really low to empty. There does not appear to be any knocking but like I said it stinks bad. Thinking of just changing the oil, maybe flushing a few quarts thru and go from there. Any experts or people who have had similiar problems would appreciate info.

thanks glaflure

·
Registered
408 Posts
I burnt up a belt saturday. What a mess. I was still 5 miles from shore. Thanks god a guy in my group had the same exact quad i have and an exrta belt. It was a pain in the butt to get to having to take off alot of plastic to get to it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Definately change the oil! The transmission clutches are lubed by the engine oil also. Good chance the clutch plates were hot and that gave off the smell. Hopefully all will be well, possibility that the clutch plates are burned and may need replacing. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Your machine does not have a belt. I have a 2003 Honda Foreman, they are almost bullet proof. Sounds like you got it so hot that you burnt the oil, kind of like when you are deep frying something and you get the grease to hot and it turns dark and it smells burnt. Change the engine oil and filter, take it for a test drive. Hopefully all is good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also another idea check your plastic around the motor and exhaust. Last year i broke some clips on my dads and melted plastic on the the exhaust and its been over a year and it still has a bit of a smell when you run it. All it takes is a good snow drift or some slush to hit just right and itll pop and push the plastic in

·
Registered
155 Posts
Starting to feel like this is going to be a year where quads are going to take woop'n on the bay. We are getting a lot of snow and my quad had a hell of a time out and back the last time out. if you get snow and slush in the belt area it slips and heats up and it stinks thus the cluch is working overtime. i for one did go and buy a sled so I have the choice fir which machine to run and let conditions determine that. For several years I have thought of having 2 machines so i could match the conditions. But as I see it this year sleds are making travel easier. If we get this big snow sleds are going to be the only way unfortionaly.:confused: i know not everyone has the acess to a sled or a quad on any given day.

If I can help and you if want to PM me, I have a 2 up sled and would be more than happy to to help get you out to fish. No fee just happy to help, if I'm going out. We can talk if you give me a PH# in your PM.
Thight Lines Outback!:):):)

·
Registered
9,108 Posts
as mentioned, too much snow can be rough on sleds too. i have issues with my older sleds getting traction in this snow pulling stuff or trying to go fast. the long track guys will have fun! sucks trying to yank machines out, hurts the back.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
as mentioned, too much snow can be rough on sleds too. i have issues with my older sleds getting traction in this snow pulling stuff or trying to go fast. the long track guys will have fun! sucks trying to yank machines out, hurts the back.....
Good point! Mine being a 2up that has a long track (thanks to SOUP) for the thread which convinced me to buy the 2up, it runs good in deep snow it stays up like it's floating on the snow as long as you keep it moving. The studded track makes a big difference as far as traction goes as well. So Thanks again (SOUP) it is a hell of a smooth ride!:D Just sit back let'er fly, Otter Lodge in tow, and thanks to Jim Johnson for the Cargo rack, what a system to fish with. See ya on the Ice!:)

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Last time out I am pretty sure my belt got wet. Was squealing at take off. After riding for a bit it dried it out. Was giving off a foul smell. Like others mentioned, sounds like your Honda does not have belts. Change out drive train Front/rear/main fluids as well as engine oil. Never hurts to change out the fluids anyway.

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, turned out I heated the clutch up pretty good and that burned the oil. Changed the oil and adjusted the clutch and were good to go! Was worried about the engine and the Honda dealer laughed and said short of running it without oil good luck killing them they are tough. I don't regret helping the guy out by towing him but 1/2 way in he realized "oop's I left it in gear":yikes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.