Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog hershey for a while has been growling at my wife as she comes up the stairs at night to go to bed. I have always contributed it to protecting me.

From what my wife says, today he takes off down the street after another dog. My wife goes and brings him back and starts yelling at him. he ended up snaping at her. He just grazed her hand from what she says, but I obviously can't have this happen.

Any ideas on training for him? If he had completely bit her, both the dog and I would be gone. So I either get training for him, or I put him down.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Sounds like he needs to learn he's not the pack leader!

I had phenominal results with Pro K9. They can specialize in dog agression and the first sessions are in house so they are very convient. My dog was agressive towards other dogs and it was helping, but I just didn't start the training soon enough and something happened. They are kind of pricey, but they're my recommendation hands down. FYI I don't think they do hunting training, but for obedience they're great.

If you want more info just PM me and I'll give you a number and/or more info.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Sounds like she may to do the ol' "lay on top of the dog game."

If the dog is sleeping in the bed currently, you may want to put an end to that until you get this figured out.

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FieldWalker said:
If the dog is sleeping in the bed currently, you may want to put an end to that until you get this figured out.
Hershey lays on the ground. Never on the bed. I couldn't take that.

He was fixed at 5 months.

I may have her try to start pinning him down.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
GWPguy said:
My dog hershey for a while has been growling at my wife as she comes up the stairs at night to go to bed. I have always contributed it to protecting me.

From what my wife says, today he takes off down the street after another dog. My wife goes and brings him back and starts yelling at him. he ended up snaping at her. He just grazed her hand from what she says, but I obviously can't have this happen.

Any ideas on training for him? If he had completely bit her, both the dog and I would be gone. So I either get training for him, or I put him down.
And what do you do when the dog does this? I would be all over him? When we got Sampson he was 8 months old and we had two young boys and my wife had never had a dog. Any aggresion or dominance by him and I was making him submit with them right there.

I wonder what she did when she got to him and what she was saying to him when yelling. Three words. NO!! then BAD DOG!! End of talking. ALso was she dragging him towards home?

I dont think you are anywhere near putting him down. Training yes. I say more training by you and her will cure him. Just my .02 worth. Steve

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree with the above, he just needs to be reminded daily that he's not the boss, and that you two are very capable of protecting your property and he doesn't have to (the dog chasing incident). Good luck, just remember it takes time and consistency.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
i imagine you could train this out of a dog. i'm pretty quick to say there isn't a dog alive worth risking a kid getting chewed on. they snap around me without good cause and they get the black needle.
yes im heartless. but i have seen what can happen to children in the jaws of a dog.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Your wife needs some trainers training too, and she is the one that has to put the dog in its place. From the sounds of it you are his leader, but he is thinking he is above her..
Dogs aint smart, so think simple. They dont understand english, and mostly respond to being treated as a dog. Your wife may either let you handle the dog, or be treating the dog incorrectly. (some women carry on a converstation (my wife) with the dog. Its a motherly thing-treating em like a kid) So far the dogs havent answered her though...

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
GWPguy said:
I may have her try to start pinning him down.

I wouldn't have her pin him. In lieu of a trainer helping out I would start off by having her do the feeding, crating, walking, letting outside and make him do something little for her before he gets what he wants. A dog who already thinks your wife is subordinate to him may naturally take aggressive action if she starts pinning him to the ground.

There is a GREAT, AWESOME, SPECTACULAR book called Animals in Translation by Temple Grondin that you should buy today. They have a copy at the Barnes and Noble on M-59. There are very useful sections on animal aggressive and troubleshooting. I just finished reading it last week but already loaned it out to someone else.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
For whatever reason, you dog has started showing his dominance stance towards your wife. You need to get this stopped right now before somebody gets hurt.

If this was my house, I'd get a dog behavioral pro in there right now- like today. One well qualified to handle and re-train an agressive dog. Both of you need to be educated on how to handle this GWP-safely. IMO this has gone on far beyond the "get a book stage"

NB

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
NATTY BUMPO said:
IMO this has gone on far beyond the "get a book stage"

NB

I wasn't saying to just get a book and also recommended getting a trainer. I was just pointing out that the book is detailed in the types of aggression dogs have and is very good at showing us how to understand aggression. :)

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Tec,

My post wasn't directed at you - or that book you mentioned in your post. I'm sure its very good, if you say so. Sorry for any confusion. But dog training books don't deal with specific dogs on a "case by case" basis.

What about visitors to the home? What about neighborhood kids? What about people out walking their dogs?

GWPGuy asked for HELP!!. IMO he needs professional help- right now, before somebody gets hurt.

BTW I hate nasty dogs and wont tolerate one for one second. Dont think anybody should.

Natty B.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
NATTY BUMPO said:
Tec,

My post wasn't directed at you - or that book you mentioned in your post. I'm sure its very good, if you say so. Sorry for any confusion. But dog training books don't deal with specific dogs on a "case by case" basis.
Natty B.

I know NB. I just wanted to clarify my earlier post in case that was the way my post was taken. I didn't want it to read like I would solely recommend a book the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
You have two completely separate issues. Aggressiveness toward other dogs and not respecting her as his leader. Neither of which can be tolerated. If You have more control and are around the dog when it growls at your wife, come down on that dog hard to let it know as the lead dog you won't put up with him and that behavior.

Your wife definitely has to start some formal obedience training with the dog. He just doesn't respect her authority. A choke collar or better yet a pinch collar is a good start with some basic commands "come", "Heel", "down". Some women are not strong enough to get the dogs attention without using a pinch collar. Most obedience classes can teach her how to handle this dog, even the aggressiveness toward another dog.

Many moons ago now, I handled a police K-9 dog that was trained for aggressive work. When we got several of these dogs in the same place it was absolutely imperative that no dog fights ensued because these were dogs that would do some serious damage to both man and beast. If the dog looked at another dog is was given a very firm correction. Eventually, you could sit two dogs side by side and the would look away from the other dog. In order to do this you will have to get this dog around other dogs so it's behavior can be changed. That is why I would recommend an obedience class and tell the instructor what you are dealing with. No time to be shy with these problems. Also look into invisible fencing. Sorry about the long windedness but I hope this helps. PM me if you would like to talk about any specific problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I also agree with the pecking order call as above. you and your wife need to put him in his place and remind him often. my wife and I got a chessie and new going in that it needed traing from day one and constant reminders. try putting him on his back and look straight into his eyes firm voice ,No Bad Dog . I always hold his muzzle and shake firm not hard and not long. then hold for about 10 seconds . let go and let the dog get up. but make shure your wife can handle him with you there. also as said above it is not a request it is a command and must be carried out other wise he will obey when he wants and she lost again. voice tone is a big key and posture .dogs read these. good luck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good advice has been given here. I agree with "rolling" the dog, but only as a last step. Also, make sure your wife can handle the dog and knows the right way to go about it in case the dog gets aggressive back. You know the dog, make sure the wife is comfortable doing it or don't try it.

Personally, I think a previous post had the best solution. Have your wife feed the dog, but make it wait until she releases it before it gets to eat. Have her let it out of the door/kennel, but make it wait before she releases it into the yard. Same thing coming back inside. Have her work on obedience with simple back yard stuff, but it forces the dog to do what she commands. These steps will allow the dog to understand just where it stands in the pack pecking order and the dog will be happier for it.

The biggest battle may be getting the wife to spend the time developing her role in the dogs eyes. Hopefully she still has patience with the dog and realizes that the time spent with obedience will pay off long term.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hunt-N-Camp said:
Good advice has been given here. I agree with "rolling" the dog, but only as a last step. Also, make sure your wife can handle the dog and knows the right way to go about it in case the dog gets aggressive back. You know the dog, make sure the wife is comfortable doing it or don't try it.

Personally, I think a previous post had the best solution. Have your wife feed the dog, but make it wait until she releases it before it gets to eat. Have her let it out of the door/kennel, but make it wait before she releases it into the yard. Same thing coming back inside. Have her work on obedience with simple back yard stuff, but it forces the dog to do what she commands. These steps will allow the dog to understand just where it stands in the pack pecking order and the dog will be happier for it.

The biggest battle may be getting the wife to spend the time developing her role in the dogs eyes. Hopefully she still has patience with the dog and realizes that the time spent with obedience will pay off long term.
She needs to be CONFIDENT and in a dominant state of mind as well as comfortable, or the dog will pick up on that she really doesn't mean what she's doing, and it's all over.
A pro trainer sounds like the best idea, even if it's just for a couple sessions to show her what to do with him.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
nb this is an issue with a dominant dog and submissive handlers... I dont think the breed really matters... i own 2 gwps and they are not aggressive at all.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Definitely call in a professional for help. Getting bits of advice on this forum is not going to help since no one has seen the dog nor assessed the situation. Get some GOOD professional help, with experience in dealing with aggression. If this is handled wrong, you will end up with a time bomb on your hands.
PM me if you need help finding someone in your area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts