Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son and i took our 6 mo. old lab and put him on 6 quail this morning. as always he was very birdy and excited to hunt, but for the first time he was out of range and not listening to either of our commands especially COME!:bash: anyone with experiance please help!! he did put up two birds but so far out of reach i'd been better off throwin' a rock at em'.i'd appriciate any and all advice/suggestions thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey mud...I think a lot of us have went through that some time or another. I can say I still do once in a while. But it has gotten a lot better. About the only thing I can recommend is the use of a training collar. A 6 month lab should be able to handle the collar without any problem. When my GSP ventured out to far, I would give him jolt on a mid range setting....just enough to get his attention. I typically used the continuous button until he would turn and start to head back closer to me. No for the more hard headed days I would have to bump up the level. Hope this helps

·
Registered
450 Posts
Make sure you collar condition that pup first.
And prolly before that go back to the basics get obedience rock steady.
You can also use a check cord to contoll his range or least catch up to the cord to stop him and make him obey.
Also (but i may have misunderstood what i read)only 1 person is the dog handler you can confuse your dog with 2 people talking at him.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
James B. Spencer "Training the Upland Flusher".

The pup is at a GREAT age for you to be reading this book.

Leave the collar in the box and read on how to train a flusher. Then get out and Train that Flusher

·
Registered
78 Posts
one of the best ways to keep a flushing dog close is to never let him find a bird out of gun range. instead of planting the birds out in the field carry them with you and roll them in front of you or off to side when he is not looking. when he gets the idea that the birds are around you, usually after a couple of weeks then you can start planting the field.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Was he out of range because he was chasing after a bird? Or did he run off in search of a bird that he knew was out there because it was there the last time he was there running.

You have turned him on. Now is the time to transfer all that yard work into the field. Leave the birds at home. Also work him in as many different places as you can. When you have him working a proper pattern drop a bird for him to find. Shoot it and reward him with a retrieve. I know alot of guy's say birds, birds, and more birds. Take the bird work slowly. To many released birds to fast can turn a good pup into a nut. (bad habits)

Don't be to harsh on total compliance. He is young. You don't want to turn off what you have turned on. You just want to harness it.

Bruce

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i appreciate all the advice. i'll look into that book, and i like the advice you gave backwoods, it makes alot of sense and thats what i'm tring to instill in that crazy bird pup!:lol: i'm not sure if i want to collar train him yet, seeing that he's only 6 mos. i think i need to put him back in basic training for the next couple of weeks so he knows hes the dog and not the shooter:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts