Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if someone can give me some advice or drill or two to get my 4 month old lab setter mix to point at birds. I have a 3 year old lab that is awesome and they both have the retreiving part down, but how or what can you do to have the puppy point at birds in the field. I usually only duck hunt, hence the retrieving, but would like to try to train the puppy to point in the field. thanks, Mark

·
Registered
710 Posts
With a mixed breed dog you never know what you are going to get. Your setter lab mix may not point because the lab flushing traits are dominant. As for the pointing question I don't know I run a flusher, but I would assume getting the dog on some live birds to see if it has the instinct to point

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
You can't teach a dog to point. Either he will or he won't.

If he does there are methods to "steady him up" but that is a moot point (pardon the pun) if he doesn't.

Sounds like he is doing ok otherwise.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
A lab cross with a setter = a "Letter"?:lol:

I don't know about teaching a dog to point. Like others have mentioned if you want a pointing dog, I would suggest starting with getting a purebred pointing breed and using the mix as a retriever like you have been.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't remember the guys name, but he runs a pheasant ranch in Hillsdale county. I bought the dog a few weeks ago at the waterfowl festival at Pt. Moulle... actually it may be Len Jenkins. The dog is a really sweet dog and a good house dog as with my lab. I'm just interested in seeing if I can get him to point on birds in the field and retrieve ducks in the marsh. We'll see how it goes. He's doing a great job retrieving duck wings in the backyard so far. Didn't know if someone had a good activity for young dogs to help them get the hang of pointing on the bird.
thanks for all the feedback, Mark.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
You can't teach a dog to point. It's an instinct. If the dog does point you can cultivate that, but only to the extent that you can get it enough repetitions on birds that it figures out how close is too close, or rather, it will learn when it needs to start pointing before the bird flies off.

You may be better off using the dog as a flusher for upland work...and there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
You can teach a dog to "Stand Game".

With remore launchers you can teach a dog to stop when it smells the bird. Lots of yard drills will need to be done and then transfer it to the fields.

First you will need to teach the dog to stop on a wild flush (When the dog does not smell the bird and sees it flush he stops). Once the dog is reliable at stopping to a bird flushed out of the scent cone, you introduce the body scent of a bird means stop.

It would take a thought out plan with each portion being a set of building blocks leading into the next advancement of the training program laid out.

Nice intense points ??? Depends on the animal but I dout it. But to teach him/her to stand game ??? Yes it can be done.

Friend of mine out west has a Springer that gives a nice long pause on Roosters that hunker down. A running bird is a different story.

In closing, in the right hands your dog could be taught to do what your looking for.

Rooster

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
A word of caution tho. My two previous labs were trained on pheasants first, then I tried to use them on ducks !.......Nada ! Nope ! No way ! Once the dog is trained on pheasants where they run around and "hunt" is a whooooole lot different than getting out of the truck , going out and setting decoys and then put on stand/sit for X number of hours. Two different ballgames. There urge and desire to run/hunt produces that constant high pitched whine if they can't go?
It about drove me nuts. So now I'm on lab #3 and I'm doing ducks first, then pheasants. I think she will point also, she stalks and raises the front leg with the tail straight out most of the time. But like already mentioned you can't train em to point, they will or they won't. And it will take a certain age sometimes.
Some pups will point right away, some it takes time. Be patient, take your time.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Give Hunters Rose Kennels a call, they breed pionting labs, they may be willing to give you some advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts