Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year I am for sure going to try the DR. I have a Lund Alaskan wit a 50hp tiller and a 50lb transom trolling motor. I use the boat on lake Michigan trolling for salmon and the rivers forward trolling with plugs for steelhead. Ironically last time I was out I caught a 27 inch walleye. First question is does anyone else have the same or close to the same set up that has conquered the drift? Second, line and tackle talk. What size line, what jigs should I start stocking up on? And as for a rod I have 2, light/med rods that I use for steelhead in the rivers. Would those be fine? Any help will be awesome.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
So this year I am for sure going to try the DR. I have a Lund Alaskan wit a 50hp tiller and a 50lb transom trolling motor. I use the boat on lake Michigan trolling for salmon and the rivers forward trolling with plugs for steelhead. Ironically last time I was out I caught a 27 inch walleye. First question is does anyone else have the same or close to the same set up that has conquered the drift? Second, line and tackle talk. What size line, what jigs should I start stocking up on? And as for a rod I have 2, light/med rods that I use for steelhead in the rivers. Would those be fine? Any help will be awesome.
OK, for starters, Capt Nick has similar rig and knows the river better than just about everyone else. He's on this forum, so PM him and I'm sure he will give you a shout.....

Also, you couldn't go wrong booking him for a day or two (he may also be available to fish from your boat and show you how its done).

Good luck

Jay

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Look up past threads. TONZ of information. Walleye kid.com, u tube. Everything you want and more is just a click away. Stay away from the Trenton Channel until you have boat control perfected. Lots of snags!!!!! Mid to upper is virtually snag free. Have fun n see you on the water!! Shrubby

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I can't speak to your rig, but as far as rod/line/jigs.

I have a few rods I use, my favorite is a 5'9" med action and my others are 6' med action rods. Its hard to believe but jigging with anything over 6' for a day or weekend will wear out your shoulder. But if you only go for a day or two each season, you can certainly use a 6'6" or even a 7" rod. But trust me, a short light rod is the way to go.

I use 6 lb hi-vis fireline and a 8 lb flouro leader. I use 3/4 jig 75% of the time 25% of the time I use a 5/8 or 1oz. I buy my jigs from Jeff's custom Jigs, just google it for a website. He has good prices, fast delivery and had taken good care of my orders in the past.

As far as technique, do a search on youtube for detroit walleye fishing and you'll have hours of videos to watch. My bro (ahill2climb) makes some good ones.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
If your gonna try and pick your days then your best option for ideal weather would be a med/light south wind this will require less work out of ur trolling motor and easier time fishing. The light south wind will slow ur boat down some to match the current which is less work on ur trolling motor. A 45# thrust on a 16 is do able I have a 50 on my 16 .. Stronger wind just requires more work out of u manning the motor, a stiff north wind will be tough cause ull be fighting the current quite a bit with ur tm and that will make it harder to stay verticle . I hope that helps good luck

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I have an 18 ssv. 50 hp with a 55 I pilot. Drift will be easy. You will eat up a little more battery with the stern to the currants.

We use 10 lbs fire line tied direct to 5/8 jig in less than 20' over 20' I use 3/4.
Personally I like the egg shaped jigs over round ball jigs. No real reason they will all catch fish on the same day. But have a variety of dark and light colors.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
To help you a little with your other ?s line choice is whatever u feel comfortable using whether its mono or braid... Some guys will only use braid and others only use mono. I personally use #10 Berkley mono and a fenwick mh 6' fast action rod. You want a stiffer rod for jigging to help with the lighter bites and the fast action will help , not needed but I think the rod is most important part in feeling your bites and the bottom. As for jigs i use 3/4oz round ball jig heads that size is a pretty standard size for jigging the det rvr and for colors there is really only 2 that I use a chartruse or a purple most of the time the chartruse don't leave my jigging rod all spring. Never had a reason to change on somedays a purple will work better but not many. Next is your wyndotte worms its a 4" plastic imatation nightcrawler if you get a bag of black and brown ull be all set. Stingers are a must to ... If ya have anymore ?s don't hesitate to ask lots of good guys on here with a ton of good info

·
Registered
339 Posts
I run a 1600 Lund Alaskan SS with a 60hp Merc also a 9.9 kicker with a 55lb wireless Motor Guide bow mount trolling motor with no problems at all, also I run 2 12volt batteries in parallel so running all day isn't a problem either. High wind and big wave's just make's control a little harder but it can be done. You just have to be smart and know when enough is enough. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
35,359 Posts
Gear is all personal preference but here is what I would suggest to have the best chance at first time success...

6' medium fast, decent quality sensitive rod (no ugly stik, too numb for light bite). Ugly stik will work but the feel is terrible.

Start with 3/4-1 oz heads until you are confident with staying vertical.

Go with braid to start. Thinner line for same break strength helps you stay vertical (less surface area for water to push). Also, braid is waaaaaay better for detecting the light bites and driving the hook over deep water, due to little to no stretch.

As others have said, wyandotte worm works great. I like an assortment of colors from chartreuse to blue to black. I specifically remember a day I was slaying them on a chart worm when everyone with black and brown couldn't get anything going.

Stingers will double if not triple+ your catch rate. Get stingers a length that will lay on top of the tip of the worm's tail. They often try to suck in that heavy jig and the light weight stinger gets sucked into their mouth but not the main hook.

Good tip about staying away from Trenton... until you're real good at boat and jig control at least. That bottom will frustrate you and clean you out of jigs in a hurry.

When the water is real cold, slower jig is better. Also, it usually helps to tip with a shiner. As it warms you can snap it a little more and lose the live bait.

They will usually bite on the fall, so increase your odds of feeling the strike by keeping a tight line on the fall.

Just the way I do it because it makes perfect sense to me. Of course, everyone does things different.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nick has been using a transom mount trolling motor on his smaller Lund for his guide service for years. Nick used to use a foot controlled one on his tourney boat till he had to switch to using a transom mount on that boat also. You can't go wrong going out with Nick to learn how he does it so well besides his knowledge of the river. This is one of his older videos.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. I have been non stop watching YouTube videos. Its not helping the itch, I think saying fish on will help though.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Depending what transom mount you have u might want to switch the head around so it's driving backwards and will give you more speed adjustments to chase your line. I have a bowmount and transom mount but use me transom mount 90% of the time. I ran an 18 Alaskan for years with a 55 for years! Great set up!

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
As others have said boat control is key. Not just to keep your line vertical but to "flow" with the pack. When you do make it to the Trenton channel you will understand what I'm talking about. I like a 6'3" st. Croix eyecon rod. It has a x-fast tip. Sometimes the bite is too light and I feel this helps in the hook set. Also if you fish alone the shorter rod makes it easier to net your fish. I also like 6 or 8 lb power pro. The colored stuff is easier to see. As for jigs its 3/4 junebug with the flasher and a black WW but everyone seems to have their favorite. I tip with half a crawler held in place with a bit of an old WW. Tie your own stingers over the winter. 30 or so and you'll be off to a good start. I'm in a 18 foot Starcraft with a 45lb transom trolling motor. I just face the transom to the north and do the best I can. Usually works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

1 - 15 of 15 Posts