Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Help with the buffalo method

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  NonTypicalCPA 
#1 ·
I'm going to jump in and try the buffalo planting method for a few years and see how it works on my plots. I've got a section of my pasture that has been repurposed for a new food plot. I sprayed gly and after a few weeks worked up the ground with my tiller. That's how it's sitting right now. Should I till a few more times to keep the ground open and plan on planting Eagle seed fall buffalo blend? What's the earliest I can plant that mix - is July too early? Or should I plant a summer annual now and plan for the fall buffalo blend in August/September?

#2 ·
2 ways I'd attack this:

My preference would be to plant buckwheat right now, wait until it goes to seed (about early august) then roll it flat and let a 2nd crop come up from the volunteer seed. Broadcast your buffalo blend into the standing 2nd crop early september and either crimp or roll and terminate with gly.

Easier but less beneficial (to soil and wildlife) option would be to spray 1 - 2 more times with and just plant the buffalo blend in early September.

There is no need for additional tillage at this point, you're just further degrading your soil by tilling.

#3 ·
There's a great resource out there called "Dirt to Soil". Gabe Brown, author, talks about some main soil building rules. One of them is to always keep live roots in the ground.

His book is one of the foundations in modern day cover cropping which is, in essence, a cousin of the buffalo method.

Having something growing to cover your soil is a huge part of this.

Buckwheat is a great option, as are blends that are specific to summer soil building. Those usually contain buckwheat, okra, flax, sunflower, mung beans, soy beans, etc.

Choose your fall blend and plant come labor day or so into the standing vegetation and roller crimp it to terminate. You'll be set up solid.

Best of luck.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Have you considered calling Eagle seed? Another option is to watch growingdeertv episodes on the Buffalo system. Interesting concepts if your soil isn’t as hard as concrete in the spring.

#6 ·
I wouldn't worry about planting Eagle seed NTCPA. There is a lot of good seed out there that is much cheaper. I once purchased a bag of Eagle Forage Soybean seed which cost me $130 with shipping. It didn't perform any better than the $9 bag I got on the QDMA Conservation Seed program.

I agree that further tillage will just further degrade your soil. I would also recommend planting something now to get some living roots in the ground (buckwheat, oats, fast growing annual clovers or a combination thereof) and then planting your buffalo blend this fall (August - September depending upon your location).

Your "Buffalo Blend" can be pretty much anything you want it to be but the more diverse the mix is, the better it will serve your soil and wildlife. I have gradually gone from planting a single crop of rye for my cover crops 6 years ago to a 12-seed blend last year. There is little question that the more diverse the better. Try to include all 4 classes or categories of cover crops - 1) grasses, 2) legumes 3) brassicas and 4) non-legume broadleafs. I haven't purchased anything from Green Cover Seed myself yet but they do know what they are talking about when it comes to Regenerative Ag and their seed is much more reasonably priced than Eagle seed.

#9 ·
Here it is, a little over an acre. This is at my home just outside the village limits. Mostly a doe factory until the rut kicks in, but very lightly pressured so some good late season viewing/hunting. I don't hunt here much but I can see this new field from the house so it will be fun watching anything that visits it.
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

#14 ·
All kidding aside, Grant Woods has actually abandoned the term "Buffalo System" and adopted a new term, the "Release Process". Not sure why he did this, but it almost seems as if he ran into legal issues with trademark or copyright laws because the change seemed to be sudden. I really have no idea...just speculating because it's Friday and we have to have something to talk about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.